'86 2+2 & '83 Hurst Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirplus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2006
Michigan
I am new to the group, hello all!

My GP 2+2 Areo Coupe is very clean my project is is repowering. the LG4 just never matched the looks of the car in get up and go. What are the current trends on build up for these cars?
My goal is a very driveable, 350-400hp, I want something exotic(ls6..), but a simple 4bbl 350 just seems too logical to pass up.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Welcome. And yes, u r right, the LG4 isn't a powerhouse.
Current trend seems to be Crate Engines or the LS1 Swap. Either way, u can't really go wrong. Assuming u don't care about originality or Emissions. Don't get me wrong, emissions can be retained, I did, but still don't know why.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I am also the proud owner of a 2+2, and am not overly enthused with the LG4. I'm thinking that between the overdrive trans and 3.08 rear gears, the car could use a big cubic inch small block. When I get to that point in the work on the car, I'm thinking about either a 383 or 400 small block. I figure a combination like that will have enough torque to move the car well with the 3.08 gears, and still get reasonable fuel economy.

dexter047

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2005
raleigh, nc
sirplus said:
how do the late 70's Pontiac motors (400cid) work in these cars? anyone done that swap?

I had a 73 400 in my 79 G.P., worked VERY well.if you get 301 mounts it is a bolt in swap pretty much. hardest part is exhaust. I have found 1 set of headers for the swap and they were expensive. Otherwise very easy.

heffamphetamine

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2006
yea it's a pretty easy swap, just be sure and get a 69 later block, other wise you'll have to get a motormount adapter kit. stock exhaust manifolds fit just fine, just make sure you get rear exit manifolds for both sides. you may want to swap the trans for a th350 or th400, i'm not sure what trans the aerocoupes had, either a 200r4 or 700r4 i guess, but those may not be able to handle the torque of a healty big cube pontiac without stronger hard parts. a th400 with a 3.08 gear would be pretty good all around. you may have to change your crossmember to use a non-od trans. be sure and get a bigger radiator and a transcooler doesn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor