86 cutlass no fire/start problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

banthonyb71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2008
I have 86 cutlass salon 307 engine 4 barrel. I had someone look at my car because it would not fire up. I found out I have no fire getting to the spark plugs. I changed cap rotor ignition module and still no fire. Any ideas? Is there a way to test for power getting to the ignition module?

banthonyb71 said:
I have 86 cutlass salon 307 engine 4 barrel. I had someone look at my car because it would not fire up. I found out I have no fire getting to the spark plugs. I changed cap rotor ignition module and still no fire. Any ideas? Is there a way to test for power getting to the ignition module?

Make sure all your connectors have power going to the distributor. All you need is a volt meter.

I agree with the above. Make sure that the coil has power going to it and that the coil functions correctly.

The pink wire with the white connector is the 12v power source for the distributor. Make sure that when you have the ignition on, that it is supplying 12volts.

Other than that, could be you have a defective module. Did you use the white heat sink grease on the module?

Let us know your findings.

Make sure that the coil has power going to it and that the coil functions correctly.
x2
if the coil and dist have power, pop the cap off and have someone turn over the engine. watch the rotor to make sure it turns.

I tested the pink wire going to the distrubutor and it is suppling ignition. I checked to make sure ignition was feeding the other side at the coil and it was. I purchased a new coil and still no fire.

make sure the rotor turns with the engine cranking, triple check all connections and power and grounds, just in case. but it's starting to sound like a bad hall effect sensor/pickup, which is not serviceable. you'd need a new dist.
is it a coil-in-cap dist or a seperate coil, with a 4-wire and a 3-wire plug on the ign module? if it's the seperate coil type i have a brand new, never used spare from GMPP. it's for a chevy motor so i don't know if it's compatable with an olds. but i'm sure someone here knows.

by chance have you disconnected the oil pressure switch. GM used a system whereas the car would not run without oil pressure.

Otherwise it sounds like an NFG module in the distributor

banthonyb71 said:
where would the oil pressure switch be located? I will check to see if it is unplugged.

Front of the engine driver side right in front of where the intake manifold matches to the block. I'm sure this is not your problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor