86 grand prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledgehammer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2008
hello. i just bought myself my first gbody, an 86 grand prix. fully loaded with t-tops! it's pretty good shape. first thing i'm going to do with it is build a 500hp 400 for it. i already have the engine, just need to assemble it. i guess it's my winter project for this year. right now it has a 305 with a 2004r.

i need to find a more stout diff for it. any suggestions?
also am i going to have to do anything else to this car so it structurally can stand up to 500ponies?

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
quick and easy answer for a rear end? ditch the entire 7.5" rear axle and get a 8.5" one out of a GN or 442 cutlass, complete with rear driveshaft.

This setup is a complete bolt in and will definately stand up to 500hp in stock form. If you want a even better option replace the axle shafts in the 8.5" rear end add some c-clip eliminators, or weld on the ford housing ends and you'll be good for 9 second 1/4 mile passes.

sledgehammer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2008
yeah i knew i had to ditch the 7.5" but finding a diff out of a gn or 442 will be pretty interesting. i can fab up mounts no problem i just need to find a diff that is the right width

sledgehammer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2008
how do i post pics on this forum?

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
You'll need to go to photobucket and set up an account. Then photobucket, after you upload your pic's to it will give you an image url, copy it and paste it here and you should be set. I believe there's other ways to do it but this is the most commonly used. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor