86 SS Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BENCHSEATRACIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2008
Bel Air,MD 21014
Just got this 86 SS Monte Carlo.Getting ready to put my fresh pump gas 468 in it.Been buying parts to do the swap..headers,mounts,crossmember etc etc etc.Hoping to run low 11's high 10's on motor,and maybe some low 10's high 9's on nitrous.
302128241_jgvQm-M.jpg

302128969_PJ5sE-M.jpg

307902297_znEHN-M.jpg

307902573_XJ7QT-M.jpg

307901718_CGeNP-M.jpg

304113835_oH2LZ-M.jpg

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Very cool username and car but don't tell me you are going to rip out the buckets to fit in a bench. Haha!!.. Oh sheet maybe you are like me ole friend Frank who had a serious bench seat 69 GTX because he went an honest 450 and needed the room. Pump gas and high 10s is a serious goal for a naturally aspirated 468. I see lightening the car has already been started. Yea I can see where that factory 6 grand tach won't cut it. Shoot I have a mild low reving Cadillac that has bumped that on accident let alone a chevy that likes to spin. And will need to for your goals, be interested in your build up. Body & paint also appears to be very clean. Welcome to the board not too many more serious racers here.

BENCHSEATRACIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2008
Bel Air,MD 21014
Hello G Body Guru! We had a 425 Caddy in my buddys 80 Malibu Wagon once.It ran good!Dead stock,with exhaust manifolds & stock HEI.I put an adapter plate on it with my Top Gun nitrous plate (300 jets,no lie) and my 750 holley double pumper.Had a 67 Chevelle 10 bolt in it with 3.36's and a welded carrier.Turbo 350 trans with a shift,and a stock converter.With a set of M&H street tires N-50-15's it ran like 15.30's on motor,but when we sprayed it ,it ran 12.20's!! It left hard!It would carry the drivers wheel 2-3 foot in the air....was cool to watch and drive it!Those Caddy motors do run well,and their cheap to buy...but like all the others expensive to make fast.
I think people are starting to figure out those Caddy motors run good!They are torque monsters!I've got VHS videos of the car,I'll have to put in my pc & post links sometime.

My Monte Carlo should be fun.I'm leaving the stock buckets in it..so don't worry about a bench making it in there...unless it's free & perfect & has a fold down arm rest & it's maroon...LOL!

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
The Caddys do seem to respond very well to spray I think in part because they have very good factory exhaust ports & an LS1 type chamber. You may have seen the Luxlx Cad powered Mustang on You tube. Stock bottom end cleaned up heads and a 250 shot of spray shoved down its throat took it into the 9s. I think he popped a couple junk yard motors till he figured out what works but the price was right. Its a good clip of the start and finish with great sound if you check it out.

Without spray on pump gas you can take them to about 500HP with about 600TQ about as cheap as anything past that you are still cheaper/better off with something else. I like the stock 4.3 stroke with a +125 BBC piston & rings and an available and relatively reasonably priced 7.1 chevy rods. They actually now have aftermarket aluminum heads on the shelf and CNC factory close chambered heads that do 320cfm and can do about 340 with more hand porting. They also now have a good single plane on the shelf. They even have roller cams which is badly needed for big power as the stock broom stick cam is too small. Expensive for roller cams and good valve train setups but it is there.

I even have a buddy with a long all black 70 2 door with a 90mm turbo on his Cad 500. He does all his own work and downplays everything. He dynoed it once with the old reconditioned 7" forged Olds rods and made 770HP before they could not get anymore fuel out of the carb. Turns out when they tore it down for the inspection they dodged a bullet as the rods were already tweaked. Now he has H beam Hemi rods and good pistons on turned down journals but has not dynoed it yet. Fun sh*t. We met up with some people comeing into Indy the other year on the power tour. Most of them are not very fast and they had a track day at Indy so he ran and became the crowd favorite as he would leave slow & quiet then suck their headlights out at mid track. It was the hit of the day as everyone was shocked it was actually Cad powered.

One of my other buddies has a 66 Chevelle with sic BBC 462 that did a 9.62 last sunday at a track rental. Turned an insane in my opinion 7800rpm.

BENCHSEATRACIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2008
Bel Air,MD 21014
my 468 is in finally!

Just got my 468 transplanted saturday.I'm going to run a mid plate on the car & had to modify the one I had.The passenger side has one header tube that sticks back past the where the block & transmission bolt together.It took a little cutting and welding but I've got one in there that should work.Still have to weld my frame brackets in place.
here's a link to my photo album
http://www.benchseatracin.smugmug.com/gallery/5031482_rYwX8#302128214_gm5SE
See ya,Mark
www.Benchseatracin.com

317213250_CauyT-M.jpg

317213944_5ee4x-M.jpg

317214260_GLddQ-M.jpg

317212268_RicFp-M.jpg

317212562_bGsik-M.jpg

317213597_Fn8e2-M.jpg

317213588_gisV8-M.jpg

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Hey, that things lookin pretty mean. Whats going on with it?

BENCHSEATRACIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2008
Bel Air,MD 21014
I'm in the process of building my first G body car.Right now I'm wiring up everything.Running relays on my 2 fuel pumps and running wires.Need to wire up my timing computer,t-brake,and nitrous.I'll move to the back of the car soon.I've got a Chevelle 12 bolt I'm going to cut to the stock G body length.I bought those frame rail notches for it too.I may cut the wheels houses and move them inboard,or possible use mini tubs.Not sure what size tubs everybody uses when they mini tub these cars.I'll get a drive shaft made for it too,no sense in cutting a stock one.The car should run a low 11 high 10 on motor & hopefully low 10's high 9 on spray.I bought a used 6" cowl hood for $100 for it.My buddy runs a body shop,so he's fixing all the chips & cracks & gonna paint it silver to match the car.Sometime this summer it'll be driveable.
See ya,Mark

BUDDMAN

n00b
Jul 12, 2008
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Nice ride, We are working on something Simular

Question is, did you have the headers made? Or is there a header in the market I can buy that will fit a 454 in a Monte SS? I have a 1986 and need to get it going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor