Not open for further replies.

KJOlds442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2008
Homer G,IL
:( 87 442 gages dont work HELP ME :(

also the dash lights dont work
the speedo and RPM do and so do the dumby lights
anyone with any ideas and yes I checked the fues on the floor drivers side is there any others

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Is their any power at the fuse?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It has contacts that are over 20 years old. Try taking the cluster out and cleaning the brass contacts in the white connectors in the dash. I also like to bend them outwards SLIGHTLY to give them better contact. The cluster may also be loose on the black plastic piece it screws to ( over time, they loosen up). Since the plugs do not have a positive engagement to the cluster, any looseness will cause a bad contact.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
If you're going to pull the cluster out here's a link that will help:
http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_cluster.php

I did the same thing last spring on the '86, my gauges were just reading off slightly. As 85 Brougham stated, clean the contacts at the dash connector and also the circuit traces on the back of the cluster, as well as the contacts on the bulb holder. I used a pencil eraser - worked great. I took apart the cluster and cleaned everything too. I would suggest while the cluster is out to replace the bulbs as well; they're #194, #168 & #161s (about $1.50/pack of 2). Lastly I sprayed lubricate on / in the speedo cable at the dash end.

Know it sounds like a lot but since you have the dash opened might as well take care of those things.

Homer Glen, your not too far from me.

KJOlds442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2008
Homer G,IL
Gauges all work now that was an e-z fix I clean the contacts at the dash connector and also the circuit traces on the back of the cluster like Jae said to do THANKS ALOT :D
BUT THE ONLY THING IS I STILL HAVE NO DASH LIGHTS :? I HAVE NO IDEA

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
KJOlds442 said:
Gauges all work now that was an e-z fix I clean the contacts at the dash connector and also the circuit traces on the back of the cluster like Jae said to do THANKS ALOT :D
BUT THE ONLY THING IS I STILL HAVE NO DASH LIGHTS :? I HAVE NO IDEA

Glad you got your gauges working. Those "fingers" on the flexible printed circuit get dirty, the plastic drys out and the copper foil will seperate (i.e lift)
I am converting several of these units to White Dial Faces with LEDs and el
dial lighting. Once everything is cleaned and working (a soft eraser works best) I personally Armor All the flexible PC circuit to keep it from drying out (those under dash temps get really high!) Then clean contactrs again with "Q" tips and alcohol.
If the bulbs are good (you can check with a Volt/ohm meter. Your Inst. lights are connected to you headlight dimmer. Make sure it is turned up and see is the lights for you Vent. Control Light and work with dimmer.

KJOlds442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2008
Homer G,IL
THANKS I JUST TRIED THE Qtips and alcohol it works :D I was very scared about using alcohol but I am SO GLAD I brought myself to do it THANKS AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor