MONTE CARLO 87 Monte Carlo 4.3 v6 Idling rough/ running rich sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkyard junky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2016
I have a 87 Monet Carlo ls with a 4.3 V6 that my parents bought new. It stays stored inside and get started up every so often. Couple of months ago it started running a little rough at idle and starts coughing a little before it dies. The motor was swapped out about 10 years ago with a 92 silverado engine. The mechanic never did swap the intake and tbi from the original engine. He just used the truck intake and tbi, cut the wiring on the harness and spliced in the pigtail for the truck throttle position sensor. Here recently I replaced the pigtail for the throttle positioning sensor and the coughing and engine dying stopped. But the copper wires on inside the insulation are corroded. Right now it starts up, idles rough but is very responsive on the throttle. Just looking for some help or info on some technics on trying to figure this out. Thanks!

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I have a 87 Monet Carlo ls with a 4.3 V6 that my parents bought new. It stays stored inside and get started up every so often. Couple of months ago it started running a little rough at idle and starts coughing a little before it dies. The motor was swapped out about 10 years ago with a 92 silverado engine. The mechanic never did swap the intake and tbi from the original engine. He just used the truck intake and tbi, cut the wiring on the harness and spliced in the pigtail for the truck throttle position sensor. Here recently I replaced the pigtail for the throttle positioning sensor and the coughing and engine dying stopped. But the copper wires on inside the insulation are corroded. Right now it starts up, idles rough but is very responsive on the throttle. Just looking for some help or info on some technics on trying to figure this out. Thanks!
I would cut back that section of harness and replace it with a new pigtail. There are two versions of that TPS with different connectors, but they are pin compatible. It's up to you whether you use the Silverados connector or switch back to the MC connector and TPS.

The connectors are pretty easy to get at any parts store.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor