88 Cutlass Update #2 and Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
My Cutlass engine work got finished last night. (Woo-Hoo!) New intake manifold gaskets, carb rebuild, and went ahead and had him put in the plugs, wires, cap and rotor I'd been procrastinating about doing myself.

Got a ride down to the shop at lunch. My buddy that worked on it ribbed me because the car had Champion plugs in it. I got the "Champions are for lawn mowers and weed-whackers" lecture....even though I didn't put them in, they were in the car when I bought it! Has Delcos in it now, as God intended.

It runs AMAZINGLY better. It's no LT1, but the little 307 no longer feels like it's missing 2-cylinders, and it's smooooth. I just have to save up for 442-style dual exhaust and then I'll be leaving the drivetrain alone....for a while.. Cruises fine now!

Gorgeous day here today in Austin Texas, upper 60's...may hit 70. I first went to the car wash and then popped off the T-tops and took the long way back to work, through the country/farmland east of town. I did NOT want to come back to work AT ALL. But I think I sunburned my ears and neck...I'm a real redneck now! ; )

I don't think I've posted since I re-did the pin stripes, and I've replaced some trim both inside and out. I got some pics of my favorite car on my drive today...here ya go.

Enjoy! - Mike

Cutlass008.jpg

Cutlass007.jpg

Cutlass011.jpg

Cutlass003.jpg

Cutlass004.jpg

Cutlass005.jpg

Cutlass012.jpg

Cutlass014.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I love my Cutlass!

And yes this time of the year we get some really nice weather...but it's 110 all summer so it should even out!

Just so you know, even in Texas the dang lower doors rust. The car is going to the body shop on Feb 15 to have 2-inches of each lower door panel cut off and new metal welded on. He's going to re-seal inside the doors, re-paint the jams, and blend the outer color to the lower body seam.

The doors are the only parts with rust in the car, the underside is clean as whistle, there is zero rust anywhere else. I think water got into the doors past the weatherstripping sweeps, and got stuck there, and they must have not protected the metal at all inside there at the factory.

The car sat from 2000-2010, it just hit 93K miles. It was washed but not really driven when it was in storage, so I bet the water just sat in the lower doors. Grrrr....

Such fun!

-Mike

Nice car!
Cool to see another white 88 Cutlass with T-tops like mine 8)
I have a few more photos in my Album as well.

Attachments

• DSC02018a.jpg
    DSC02018a.jpg
    753 KB · Views: 1,220
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor