A

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake70

n00b
Sep 21, 2009
I know this is probaly a stupid question to the guys who have owned these cars for a while but is a 78 Buick skylark a g-body I am told it is, I posted Jere because if it is I am in dire need of interior and electrical work

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Nope. It's an X body, and shares a common chassis and some body panels with the Nova, and some years of Pontiac Phoenix and Ventura II, Buick Apollo, and Oldsmobile Omega. Additionally, GM shared many chassis parts from the X bodies with the F bodies (Camaro/Firebird). In this case, yours is a 1975-79 chassis, which corresponds to the front steer F bodies made from 1970 1/2 until 1981. The 1968-74 X bodies share some common front suspension parts with the 67-69 F bodies, but typically do not have as much in common with the later cars due to their rear steer configuration (Steering linkage behind the front crossmember). Another cousin is the early Cadillac Seville, which I want to say was built from 1975-1978. It's the only rear drive Seville Cadillac ever made, so it is easy to spot. It shares it's basic suspension with the 75-79 X bodies, but is on a longer wheelbase and shares no sheet metal. As far as engines go, many of us are running engines from the 1960's and 1970's in our cars as it is the only way to get one with decent displacement. As for the wiring, I really can't help you. It shouldn't be too hard, but I would start by trying to find a set of factory service manuals on E-bay, or through sources like the advertisers in Hemmings Motor News. It may take some digging, but they should be out there and not too expensive. Most of the rodding community shuns the later model cars and the off brands, so demand should not drive up the price for the books. Interior parts are a whole new world of pain when straying far from the accepted norms in the hobby. I don't think anyone reproduces the stuff for these cars, and they are known for having some of the worst interior plastics ever seen in a GM car. Fortunately, you should be able to interchange them with other x bodies if you find some in good shape. Worry more about condition than color though, as you can dye them to match your desired color. Carpets should be easy to find, but the cardboard headliner used in some X bodies may prove difficult to find as the board tended to sag after time. Carpets are available from your typical reproduction sources like Auto Custom Carpets, and I would try Year One and others who deal with earlier Novas to see if they have any interior parts reproduced. They may or may not, but it doesn't cost anything to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor