accident disclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isn't against the law to sell a used car without disclosing that it had been in an accident ? I just discovered that I'm pretty sure my cutlass has been wrecked as I found a ripple in the metal on the front edge of the drivers door and I found clear coat peeling on the front fender drivers side ( keep in mind the paint on my entire car looks like a dry desert except for the drivers door and drivers side fender which are nice and glossy) Now it's not like i'm gonna take my car back to the guy and try to get my money back but seriously, not tell me it had been in an accident, his mom bought it new and then gave it to him so he obviously knew... just pisses me off that some people can't even be honest in this world.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
very true, for some reason I thought there was a lemon law that covered that... well either way I test drove it before I bought it and all was fine just can't believe I never clicked about those panels being glossy and figuring it out. Just irks me that people are so shady, I would still have bought it and respected his honesty had he told me...

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
rangertom said:
very true, for some reason I thought there was a lemon law that covered that... well either way I test drove it before I bought it and all was fine just can't believe I never clicked about those panels being glossy and figuring it out. Just irks me that people are so shady, I would still have bought it and respected his honesty had he told me...

Accidents happen every day, how do you know the person you got it from had that accident or even knew? With old cars especially, I would be more concerned with the quality of any repairs rather than the occurrance of an accident.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
as I wrote in the first message his mom bought it new and then gave it to him... only 2 owners and they are blood family, if there was accident he would obviously know. I'm not upset that it might have been in an accident, just that he wouldn't disclose that info when selling it... the frame is straight and for the most part it looks great so it is not like I wouldn't have bought it... just a shock when I assumed I had a fairly pristine vehicle and turns out I was mistaken... :blam:

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Sometimes you get wrapped up in the excitement of getting what you want and tend to overlook minor or major details, happens to all of us at some point. As long as you're happy with it I wouldn't let it bother you.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
I guess honestly i'm more mad at myself, not mad just dumbfounded being as anal retentive as I am that it never dawned on me that there might be a reason the drivers side was glossy and didn't look all dried out like the rest of the car... and it took me a year to realize this.... I guess I have been so excited to get another cutlass that I didn't really look and pay attention to what I was getting. It's still a solid car regardless... just some minor rust fixes and she'll be on her way to looking like a sexy b*tch again :D

Poncho61

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2013
Peoria Illinois
I understand the anger with yourself part. When I bought my GP, I made it a point to drive it obviously, pop the hood and then layed on the ground to check the floorboards and rockers for rust/rot. Now being my first G body, crawling to the back and looking at the frame rails never crossed my mind. I was so happy the floors and rockers were solid, I never thought to look under the back at the frame. YIKES!! Lesson learned. I'm sure the guy I bought it from new about it, but decided not to tell me. He spent more time telling me how much he had in the fresh tune-up etc. It did run good. Later, I through the timing light on it and figured out that he paid too much for the tune up tho, since the timing was so far off. Amazing how much better it runs now. Again, it was my first, and only, 265, so when I said it ran great, its because I expected that thing to be a dog. LOL

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
failure to disclose an accident would be a civil matter not a criminal matter & lemon laws don't apply to the sale of used cars even through a dealership.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
Accident disclosure usually goes state by state. In my state if the damage is less than $1000.00, then you don't even have to call the cops and get an accident report. The two party's can just exchange their info. IF the damage is over two or three grand they put a damage disclosure on the title. Then I think its considered totaled or salvage title at 80% of the cars value. It also depends on the state where you live how they disclose accidents, and if they reported the accident in the first place.

Florida used to clear titles on cars that were sold at auction out of state if they were repaired. South Dakota would accept them was the crappy part. I don't know if they still do or not. When I was looking for a Camaro, back in 05, I found a couple of flood cars that were in the hurricane back then. They had clear titles on them. The chassis were rusted out really bad, and the cars were only 3-4 years old back then. When ever buying a used car "Caveat emptor" (buyer beware). People will do and say almost anything to unload their piece of crap on to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor