Air Box removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I know this is a typical thing that most of us guys do when either our AC/heater doesn't work or we just don't give a hoot. Some of you know that I've had problems with the bu lately and she doesn't long our long distance driving to college. This past friday I had one of the critical wires on the starter come lose from the connector. Luckily, I managed to jump the connection and get the engine started to finish the two hour drive, just couldn't turn the car off.

Tried to fix the wire on the side of the road but because of that massive air box, I kept burning my hand on the headers trying to reach down. Well when I got home I commenced to tearing out that massive air box. The heater worked a bit, but the vents would not change, problem vacuum canisters, and I got rid of the AC when I first got the car. Got the rest of the climate control harness out of the car as well. Now there is so much room it makes my 350 look like a six cylinder. I'm in the process of fabrication the other have of the rain catch tray where the vent inlet from the outside was, that way I can put the factory seal back on and keep any and all water from getting into the engine bay.

Here's a before shot:
Picture121.jpg

And an after shot:
patspics031.jpg

patspics032.jpg

PS Don't know why the after shots came out so small

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Did you destroy the box getting it out? If not, I may want it depending on how much shipping would be. Also, I would be able to do a partial trade on the metal cover that goes where the box used to be. I believe I got it from g body parts.com.

Let me know.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Sorry the air box is useless. Trying to get it out the fiberglass disentegrated and at the sametime I had hit it with the header getting the motor in years back and it had a pretty good crack that spread through the housing. I already made a delete plate for it out of sheet metal and everything.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Why would I regret it? AC didn't work and the blower motor wasn't moving any air even when it was on high. It doesn't get cold enough down here in south texas to really need a heater. The thing wouldn't even defrost my windshield from the morning dew. IMO it was taking up engine space and it was junk. I was finally able to fix my starter wires not that its out. 3 out of the 4 wires were in really bad shape so I'm glad I was able to replace the connections and lengthen the wires a bit.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
i took mine out two weeks ago,used a motorized saw to help get it out,but with all the space now it definitely helps when it comes time to change the spark plugs on that side.BTW i love the spectre muscle car intake,thinking about getting one like that.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
The spectre intake is a really nice set up. Kinda wish they moved the snorkels to an angled 90 degrees like the OE looking air cleaners. Without that air box in the way, I can run that tube no problem, swap the spark plugs, and I finally got to replace all my starter wires.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
yea i'd like to get the air cleaner assembly from a ram rod 350 Oldsmobile,yearone sells them for $1,000 just for the air cleaner itself :shock: ,so the spectre intake is a cheaper alternative for me.You'll be happy with removing the air box though,that is if you dont drive it in the winter (or hot days in the summer).

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I hated the system cause it wouldn't push air hardly at all. Just better to roll down my bu's big *ss windows. Down here in south texas our winters consist of 50 degree temps if were lucky. Maybe one week of cold temps in the 40's. Summers stay in the 90's and i never have a problem with them. Most of our shows down here are at night time anyway since its cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor