An Monte story from 15 years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Back when I was still in high school a buddy of mine (Mike) got an '80 Monte Carlo. I think they paid $1200 for it back then. Was white (new paint) with red pinstripes and a gray interior. 305/3 speed auto (IDK if it was a 350 or 200). The thing looked like it was brand new. His dad was a big time gear head and they worked on the car together. For the engine at that time I think they added a cam, aluminum intake, and headers (long tubes).

Thinking of those headers, here's how the exhaust was. They had those glass packs that bolt directly to the header, and a down spout on the end of the glass packs. And his dad used to always leave the collector gasket out, and throw some washers in between so there was about 1/2" of space. Actually sounded pretty good lol.

Anyways. So they saved up enough to take it into the shop to get some work done. I remember they added roller rockers to the engine (IDK why). And they had a 9" with a drag race 4-link installed (no tubbing), and some 4:56 gears (and yes, they were in the process of building another engine for it lol). Also, at that time there wasn't all the bolt in stuff that's available today.

I remember going with him the day he picked it up. His dad was chatting with the guy who installed it, and he tossed the keys to Mike ( and said to take it for a test drive. So we go for a little cruise, and he wants to try to do a brake stand (used to always do it before the rear end work). Well that suspension set up was obviously working because he couldn't break those tires free if his life depended on it. So he gets mad and does a couple neutral drops, still nothing. Well at this point he's red in the face and swearing at the car because he can't do a burnout lol.

Then he remembers someone telling him roller rockers will let the engine rev higher... well he puts it in neutral and buzzes that 305 to 8000RPM a few times. Everything seemed OK, so we went back, picked up his dad and he took it home. We were gonna go cruising later that night, so I met him at his place in my Monza, and I followed him and his dad downtown (our hotspot at the time, has one way streets good for some light to light action). So he gets to the first set of lights and we are lined up. Light goes green and we hit it. Well for the first time he was able to pull away from the Monza, with ease. But after about half a block there was a big bang and he coasted into a parking lot. Engine was dead and had to get towed back home. He already had the nickname 'Redline' at that time (used to cruise around in first gear all the time lol), well his new nick after that was 8000RPM lol.

Unfortunately he passed away a few year ago. But the Monte was passed onto one of his uncles. Now with the 350 running on alcohol that Mike and his dad put into it. I'm trying to find some pics of it to post on here, was a really nice car.

R.I.P. Mike and Roman Babij

That's a great story. Kinda reminds me of my first G body. 83 GP that had a factory 305/200THM. It needed a valve job when I got it, so I threw some 350 heads on it. It had single exhaust, but the cat was gone and it had some leaks so it wasn't quiet. It had a highway gear in it, and wouldn't spin the tires for its life. So I used to get them spinning by neutral-dropping it. Looking back, I am not sure how that transmission held up. But the chrome valve covers, red spark plug wires, and Edelbrock stickers on the back window made it FAST!!!!!

breeaad said:
That's a great story. Kinda reminds me of my first G body. 83 GP that had a factory 305/200THM. It needed a valve job when I got it, so I threw some 350 heads on it. It had single exhaust, but the cat was gone and it had some leaks so it wasn't quiet. It had a highway gear in it, and wouldn't spin the tires for its life. So I used to get them spinning by neutral-dropping it. Looking back, I am not sure how that transmission held up. But the chrome valve covers, red spark plug wires, and Edelbrock stickers on the back window made it FAST!!!!!

lol @ the stickers. I remember my Monza's quarter windows were covered in them. But I never really had much for performance parts. Had Penzoil, Jeggs, Moroso, MrGasket, and other ones like that. Looking back I can see how stupid it looked, but at the time I thought it was the coolest thing lol. Hmm, back then I did everything I could to make my car look high performance, now I try to make my cars look plain and stock. Funny how things change.

lol, I did the same thing with my first Cutlass I had in high school. The anemic high-mileage 307 couldnt' spin the tires, so I neutral dropped it. Instantly turned into a 'power wheels', because I blew the stock trans. Oh well, lol :rofl:

When I was in high school I didn't own my own car, I couldn't afford to buy my own and my parents wouldn't buy one for me... And since at the time we had like 6 or 7 different cars or trucks, I drove my moms 5spd 98 Neon R/T which honestly was a lot quicker than you would think. :lol: It had a few mods that I had done with summer job money. I beat a lot of cars with it in stop light drags... Until I crashed it in 11th grade into a pole in front of the fast food joint I was working at at the time. Probably the most embarrassing moment of my life, except that time in 3rd grade I had to pee and the teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom, and I my friend Tony wouldn't stop making me laugh and I couldn't hold it anymore. 😳

But then as a grad present my grandfather gave me his old car, which was a 1994 S10 Tahoe with a "Vortec" 4.3 V6. I hated the car at the time, because I really wanted a Camaro or something similar. But looking back I LOVED that car... I wish I still had it. It was fun to drive it could turn really tight circles and parallel park easily. It was AMAZINGLY good off road, I used to do crap with it you wouldn't believe and do jumps with it all the time over rail road crossings, culverts, drainage basins, etc. It got decent mileage and did good (peg leg) burnouts. I miss that car... My mom was driving it to work one day when her car was in the shop, and got hit by some ancient Pakistani woman and totaled it in 2008 because of a badly bent frame. I kept the wreck though until a couple months ago, I used it as a farm/woods/wheeling truck... It would go anywhere only ever got it stuck twice and that was because I centered it up on the frame, over a fallen tree, WITH a flat tire. :twisted: But I sold it for parts for 300 bucks, the dude that bought it got a good deal... That motor and trans were indestructible.

lol but the point is... That S10 was like that. I had a a lot of stickers on it... And the only mod it had was a K&N cold air kit, a JVC CD head unit, and a glass pack muffler on a stock exhaust. :lol:

well I graduated in 2009 so when I was in highschool I had my Buick with a "heavily" modded 305 lol. in my town honda's are supposedly the sh*t. needless to say I had the fastest car in the school with a 305 a spool and some 3.42 gears lol. it was great fun. for a while I had most everyone convinced it made like 400hp which is wasnt even close to that. it only ran 14.3 in the quarter. but it was great fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor