Any Dave Ramsey students?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Just curious, are any of you guys are on the plan and how are you doing?

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I did it with the envelopes for bills and paying debt off smallest to largest. Paid off house last year and took tax refund and sold my trailblazer to move the wife up to a newer van for cash , right before she lost her job. One income makes money tight but but being debt free is a lot less stress

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My wife and I went through the class last year. Honestly, it saved our marriage, gave us the tools to pay off debt properly without being stupid, and allowed us to save money and buy our house 2 years sooner than expected.
As with anything, the plan needs to be followed to work correctly. We're still going through the baby steps, but actually having investments, retirement accounts rolling on top of a growing savings account makes life a little easier.

Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Sister in law does it. Everything but the house is paid off and they are paying it down pretty quick.

Personally I don't need help managing my money. My wife on the other hand....

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
From what little I've seen on Dave Ramsey...... it doesn't seem like rocket science. You just need to apply a little common sense to your financial decision making:

Live well within your means.

Minimize stupid purchases like new vehicles, expensive vacations....etc (certainly don't take out a loan for these things)

Pay down high interest debt as quickly as possible.

Save for retirement.

Doesn't seem like classes or a complicated "plan" is necessary.....just exercise a little self control.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Doesn't seem like classes or a complicated "plan" is necessary.....just exercise a little self control.

This is the part that is impossible for 99.5% of America. Ever wonder how your neighbor has $100K worth of cars and lives in a $20K house?...................every 7 or so years.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
For me, taking the class was beneficial to see better ways to manage my money. However, behind the scenes it was to get my wife to understand that a saving account is for saving and not spending!
It got to the point over the years that I had to stash money away to prevent it from getting blown because if she knew we had "extra" it would be gone!!!!!!
The FPU class made it easier for her to see the value in saving, compound interest in investments, etc. Basically, it took someone else besides me to tell her to save....hell whatever works!

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
For me, taking the class was beneficial to see better ways to manage my money. However, behind the scenes it was to get my wife to understand that a saving account is for saving and not spending!
It got to the point over the years that I had to stash money away to prevent it from getting blown because if she knew we had "extra" it would be gone!!!!!!
The FPU class made it easier for her to see the value in saving, compound interest in investments, etc. Basically, it took someone else besides me to tell her to save....hell whatever works!

We’ve been doing Dave’s plan (slightly adjusted, which he does not approve of) for two years. We will very soon own our house.

His plan works to a tee. Instead of all the extra going to our house payment I am putting about 75% of our extra toward it. And it’s coming down fast and still allowing us to keep our sanity. Again, not Dave approved.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor