Are all g body door hinges the same ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
80 MALIBU COUPE
MY PASSENGER UPPER HINGE, THE HOLD OPEN BAR ROLLER POST IS BROKEN..
I HAD FOUND A PAIR OF NEWER CUTLASS DOORS LOCALLY
ONCE I HAD EYE BALLED THEM SIDE BY SIDE
THE HINGES WERE THE SAME BUT THE SPRINGS WERE FLIPPED TO THE TOP
ARE THEY COMPATABLE?
IVE SEEN POSTS FOR BUSHINGS / PINS / ADJUSTMENT
BUT NOT COMPATABILITY

LIL PRO STRAIGHT TO THE POINT INFO IS IN NEED THANX

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay, thought I had a couple of hinge assembly cores still down in the basement but no joy. So, from the factory, it is highly probable that hinges came as driver's side and passengers side, LH, RH, and may even have been stamped or marked as such. On an unmolested vehicle they would appear as mirror images of each other from side to side.

Thing here is, the coupe doors on any of the G-models weigh as much as 70 pounds or more. Having that internal crash bar put in by the factory was supposed to make it safer but added an extra amount of weight to the door pivot pins and bushings in the hinges, not to mention that roller pin that you found broken.

Because the hinges are mirrors of each other, they can be flipped from side to side. What this does is put the spring and the roller at the bottom (or top); backwards from normal. It might look goofy but will do the trick until you can find or score a correct unit for the side in question. it is getting harder to find useable cores in the yards because by the time the car gets to the dismantlers it is pretty much wore out and door hinges die easy.

As a suggestion, try Dorman for replacements, The application in the description may not read for 80 Bu, but G-Body in general.

Oh yeah, be careful around that hinge spring. There is a compressor tool to take it out fairly safely. It can be done using a large screwdriver or a prybar but with either of those it tends to POP out and hurt things (Or people).

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
From my past experiance with hinges is that the coupe & 4 door front hinges are the same across all models. The repops are listed as fitting all models.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
On my 79 el camino one spring is on top one on the bottom, no idea if it original that way it has many kludges by previous owners.

The hinge pins and bushings are available, The early astro van pins will also work and come with two sets of bushings the smaller bushings are the same as the g body, if yours are really worn out you can drill them out and use the bigger bushings.

Agree with pagrunt 4 door fronts will fit 2 doors.

I never found a detent roller for a g body I think they are considered not replaceable. I used one from a 99 chevy truck (the roller is a little bit smaller diameter but works). Cut one inch off the bottom measuring from the step up ( don't count the small part with the clip). Then drill and tap the bottom of the pin the bolt will hold it to the hinge frame and can be used to pull the large splined part through the hinge frame. Think i filed down the splines a little so I didn't strip the bolt. I used a 5/16- 18 socket head bolt and a washer. Got a spring out of a 4 door rear door hinge.

detent roller.jpg

Had to cut the pin in 3 places. The pin has to come out in the center of the frame so you need to remove a section of the pin. if the roller is completely missing you don't need the cut at the red line if the roller is there it will not let the cut off pin come through the hinge frame. Think I used a dremel cut off wheel to cut the pin with the hinge on the car.

door hinge.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did a slight amount of digging on this. And wasn't going to spend a ton of time on it, but this is what I can come up with on a cursory look.

It seems some certain wagons and 4 doors used different part numbers for the hinges. Don't know what's different, though. You would think they'd all interchange, but I don't have any info pertaining to that.

UPPER HINGE.
LH
20009521 for 78-81 A27-37-80 and 87
SUPERSEDED TO 20323895 March 1982, which was then INTERCHANGEABLE WITH 20569461 for 82-88 G-body 2 door.
RH
20009520 for 78-81 A27-37-80 and 87
SUPERSEDED TO 20323894 July 1982, which was then INTERCHANGEABLE WITH 20569460 for 82-88 G-body 2 door.

LOWER HINGE. EITHER SIDE.

20009522 for 78-80 A-body and 81 A27. This also fits 82-87 G35 and G69 Pontiacs.
20323900 for 81-88 A/G37/47/87. This number includes 82-87 G37 Pontiacs as well.

I have a suspicion that these two hinges can interchange as well, but I cannot locate any GM documentation to tie the two together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
Did a slight amount of digging on this. And wasn't going to spend a ton of time on it, but this is what I can come up with on a cursory look.

It seems some certain wagons and 4 doors used different part numbers for the hinges. Don't know what's different, though. You would think they'd all interchange, but I don't have any info pertaining to that.

UPPER HINGE.
LH
20009521 for 78-81 A27-37-80
SUPERSEDED TO 20323895 March 1982, which was then INTERCHANGEABLE WITH 20569461 for 82-88 G-body 2 door.
RH
20009520 for 78-81 A27-37-80
SUPERSEDED TO 20323894 July 1982, which was then INTERCHANGEABLE WITH 20569460 for 82-88 G-body 2 door.

LOWER HINGE. EITHER SIDE.

20009522 for 78-80 A-body and 81 A27. This also fits 82-87 G35 and G69 Pontiacs.
20323900 for 81-88 A/G37. This number includes 82-87 G37 Pontiacs as well.

I have a suspicion that these two hinges can interchange as well, but I cannot locate any GM documentation to tie the two together.
THANX FOR ALL THE INFO
ILL GRAB SOME PICS TO SHOW SOME DIFFERENCES..
AND ILL LOOK AGAIN TO MAKE SURE IM NOT BACKWARDS IN BOTH CASES OF LEFT AND RIGHT AND UP SIDE DOWN ..
TERRIBLE PICS BUT I DID TAKE A WTF ONE
LIKE I SAID IN THE OP
THEY ARE THE SAME BUT THE SPRING FLIPS TO THE TOP. ILL GRAB BETTER PICS OR ILL SWAP IT, ROLL THE WINDOW DOWN AND SEE HOW IT CLOSES
UNLESS SOMEONE SEES SOMETHNG WRONG

THANX AGAIN
1643840234255.jpeg

1643840250180.jpeg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I actually used leftovers from a pin kit to repair my roller, I cut mine off and then drilled a hole for the pin and then welded that in and used my roller with bushings from the kit and cut that off and welded a washer on the top.
Been on my Regal's driver's door for a couple years now.
IMG_20200424_162813786_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200424_163004551_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200424_171829355_HDR.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Just took a quick peek at the first of the two pictures you posted and judging by what appears to be air or emptiness where the door portion of the hinge overlaps the A pillar/firewall inner hinge adjacent to the door pin it appears from the picture that the inner portion of the hinge is done. The repair for this would be to remove the hinge and replace it. Failing that, the inner hinge can be rebuilt but it would take removing the assembly and splitting down to its inner and outer halves. Then the upper ear on the inner half would have to be welded closed, the welds faced flat, the new blank surface drilled for a new bushing, and a new bushing and pin kit installed. This Is A Lot Of Work, but if You can't score a good core to use as a substitute, then you do whatcha gotta do.

Quick tip here. Before you unbolt the hinge from either the door or the pillar. Use a drill and a 1/8 bit to drill small holes through the mounting flanges and on through the metal underneath where the bolts pass through. Then dismount the hinge. When you go to re-install the rebuilt hinge you can use those holes to regain the pre removal alignment of the hinge by setting a 1/8 pin or drill bit in them and then running the hinge flange down over it. That gives you an instant base alignment of the door and should get you real close to being able to open and close it without experiencing drop, sag, or panel to panel misalignment.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor