Astro Steering Shaft Info (Yes more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

78cutlass406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
Question for your guys that have used the Astro shaft. When you clock these, do you run into any issues. Clocking the upper 90 degrees puts the yokes/joints out of alignment. Does this cause any issue? Its not really correct, the yokes should be the same on both ends of the shaft.

What you guys have all done is represented in the NO in the image below. I personally think the re-clock of the lock plate in the column is a better idea... Maybe I am missing something though. Input?

U-joint-Installation.jpg

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
You’re misunderstanding the meaning of re-clocking based on your pics. Google a video of the process.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Ahhh. I see your issue with it now. You are definitely ‘over engineering’ it.

This isn’t a driveshaft.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I find no problems or issues whatsoever with the re-clocked steering shaft, nor have I heard of any.

• Agree

78cutlass406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
Me overthinking it may very well be the case here. I think if they are out of phase the travels in a sort or arc or something. I still may just modify the lock plate in the column anyway. Idk. Just mostly wondering if anyone has noticed any issues making the shaft “theoretically wrong” ha

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sounds like a lot more work jacking inside the column than simply swapping a shaft out that gets turned at approx. 0.0000005 RPM. And nobody I know of that has made the swap has complained about having bumpy steering.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I absolutely think you're over thinking it. I'll bet anyone who has installed a re-clocked Astro-Safari shaft will have any complaints about it's function. I've re-clocked and sold a few and have never gotten a single negative complaint.
I would think it's more trouble and more invasive noodling around the inside of the column than re-clocking the Astro shaft. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Why look for trouble?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I personally think the re-clock of the lock plate in the column is a better idea
i'm running original, unmodified astro shafts in all 4 of my cutlasses. just re-clocked the lock plate. just need to grind off one little nub and away we go.
i did it this way for a couple of reasons; first, I'm lazy, did want to grind the steering shaft, re-clock the u-joint and then weld it. i have no welder.
second, murphy's law, if i messed with the shaft, i fear i would do something wrong and it would come apart. the kind of problem i don't want to deal with.
i also wanted to try something different. i don't know who else has re-clocked the lock plate, and can't believe I'm the first to do it, but i thought i would try it and find out if it was an alternative for those who didn't want to mess with re-clocking the shaft.
i have $9 invested in my steering shaft, a little time swapping and grinding the steering column and lock plate.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor