B-body parts compatible with g-body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtjh84

n00b
Apr 10, 2010
HI, Just wondering if anyone knows what parts for a b-body(1984caprice) could be used on a g-body? I have this caprice i need to get rid of but figured i'd snag some parts for my '78 Malibu. any ida if any parts are compatible. gonna take the wheels and possible transmission but not sure what else.
any info would be great
thanks
Mike

I know the rear end isn't. I had found one in the junkyard with an 8.5 posi and 12 drum brakes and was shittin chickens thinking I could swap it into my 80 malibu. That was before I was told that the upper control arms are different on g's and b bodies. So I took the posi tag off of it to put on my monte ss rear :lol:

I know it's possible to use the front brakes as their bigger. I seem to remember some issue with one of the control arms with that swap. It IS possible to swap in the 8.5 rear, it requires special (fabricated?) upper control arms and would need to be narrowed. Not really worth it though.

usually people don't pull from an '84, the mid 90's are the preferred ones. either way absolutely nothing is a direct fit.
the rear from a mid 90's can work with shorter UCA's and either an angle change on the axle side of the LCA or heim style joints there. B-rears are usually the larger (30spline) and stronger and have good ratios. the brakes are good, but need the spindles which create even more bumpsteer, this is after you get the correct, shorter, UCA's. the trans should be fine, if it's a 350 or 2004r it's an easy swap. a 700? little bit harder. IIRC the rims are a different bolt pattern, but that may be the later ones.

If it's not a wagon or acop car, then the rear is most likely a 7.5. If it has a good gear ratio you could use the ring and pinion. The radiator might also be larger than what you have but will still fit too.

if it's a 7.5" and i want to switch the gear to my malibu, how do i know if it's compatible? i seem to remember someone telling me, that up to a cerain ration would work, and after that a spacer would be required or something like that? i don;'t know much about rearends..what is the process for changing gear ratio? i have(as far as i know) a 2.29 factory 7.5" posi unit it the bu.

Front and rear sway bars maybe? Bigger car I would assume would have larger sway bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor