Beefed up electronic 442 Qjet from Everyday Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
So I am going to give props to Ken at Everyday Performance. He is a supporting vendor and now have built both of my Qjets. He built my 800 CFM Buick Qjet and now has finished my 442 ECM Qjet. He truly does an outstanding job and know his stuff. Please try to support him as he is one man band and has a passion for our cars....and just look at this thing!!! I need to invent a see through air cleaner to show this thing off!!!

Attachments

• 002 (2).JPG
    002 (2).JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,022

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That looks great! Is that coated with something or re-chromated? If I redo mine, I would want to do it up with chromate. And it appears the year was restamped? Is that correct? Hard to tell but it looks like it. A 5 stamped over a 4 in the year slot? If so, that's another one confirming my theory that 85 442s all got a restamped 84 H/O carb from the factory. And that's never mentioned in any books, kids.

ACDelco replacement carbs were not restamps. I'm not sure which way to go when I redo mine. I got lucky and purchased several NOS 1985 442 carbs some years ago so I could plop one on and be good to go. I've also got a brand new throttle body assembly if I rechromate my original to tighten up any sloppiness in the shafts. There's maybe 6 people in the world know about the restamps, so I doubt if I'd lose points by doing the easier of the two.

85442carb1.jpg

See? No restamp.

85442carb2.jpg

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Interesting about the stamps. And those 85 NOS carbs you have are a niiice find.

here is a closer pic of the stamp on Toby's carb. Clearly restamped, a 5 over a 4 as you mention, plus the "JCY" designation. I do believe this was done by the factory.

The recoloring is Eastwood Carb renew. It is the best product out there for a spray-on coating. It holds up well to Gasoline so long as you let it dry before handling it. It doesnt "melt" like most other spray-on coatings out there, and the color is right. Cleaning and detailing of the carb is best accomplished with dishsoap and water.

Plating and Chromating offers the best protection and appearance for the Qjets, but the EPA regulations can make it difficult for a small operation to implement it. I plan on plating in the future, but do not offer it at this time. EDIT MARCH 2014 - I wanted to update this because we are now offering plating and chromating services on our quadrajet rebuilds! See the finishes on our facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Everyday ... 8290844413

For the hobbyist (exempt from the EPA regs), I recommend the Caswell CopyCAD plating kits. Plate the parts then dip them in the chromate solution for a near-original finish. I have used the kit on a carb or two of my own with good results.

EDIT: note the Julian Date on Tobys carb 157th day of 1984 so definitely a 1984 H/O carb prior to the OEM restamp

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 918
  • ZincDichromate.JPG
    ZincDichromate.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 938
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 928

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
That is interesting, as I was taking another vin9 carb from another 307 todayI looked at this one as well, clearly a restamp of the 5. If I were you 69 Hurst I would leave the 5 restamp carb on the car. It gives it another story to discuss at the shows. Kind of like the missing cowl tag on all these 85 442's. I have heard it was a simple mistake of the assembly manager that timeframe, they were not made up, therefore all are missing. Is this correct?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I talked to the plant manager at Arlington assembly plant and he said that since they were using SPIDs, that was SUPPOSED to take place of the cowl tag. 84 was a transition year, supposedly. He said Fisher supplied the bodies with the tags IF THEY HAD THEM, and if they didn't have them, they obviously weren't included. Again, this is what he told me. I have no evidence like paperwork. But every 85 442 I've ever seen from the factory had no body tag and a restamped carb.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I've also heard about the restamping for 1985 442 carbs, mine wasnt one of the lucky ones that got restamped, but it is a correct Qjet for an 85 442. My 85 442 is also missing the cowl tag but has the RPO sticker in the trunk. I've read that some had both the stickers and tags and some just the sticker, don't know how true that is though.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What's more interesting is that they started putting them back on later. My 87 442 has a cowl tag. Go figure.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
Ignorant question. Is the jetting the only difference between the vin 9 and vin y carbs?

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ken, I have a q-jet from an 85 Monte SS that I am considering having you rebuild. My only question is, I have no computer in my car, can it be modified to work without the computer or emission stuff, or should I look for an older q-jet? Toby told me to ask you because he doesn't know anything about Chevys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor