Body drop to lower a G-Body??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
I have seen it done on an S-10. If I remember correctly, they channeled both sides of the body so it dropped around the frame.

Could that be done on a G-Body instead of having to notch the frame or is notching the frame easier to get a lower stance?

Bowtiefan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2009
Mt. Vernon, IL
I would think a notch on a car would be much easier than trying to body drop one just simply because of clearance. I mean an S10 has about a mile of frame that hangs below the cab, so even doing a stock floor BD on an S10 is fairly easy (relatively speaking).

If I remember correctly, (if you're doing air ride) the front will lay on the crossmember no problem, but yes you will have to notch the frame over the rear end to get the back down far enough. 8)

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
The rockers of a G-Body are almost dead even with the bottom of the frame. There is very little visible, but if you really want to take up that extra space, you can make up for it by making your own solid body mounts that aren't quite as thick as the stockers.

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Being a MiniTrucker myself, and having my own S-10 that lays rocker panel, I have thought about a rocker dragging G-body myself.

First to get them rails laying down you would have to notch the frame. If you wanted to go to the rockers, like suggested by someone else, you could shave a little by fabricating your own body mounts, but there is limited frame to floor board clearance issues that would only allow a minimal amount of height to be eliminated.

If someone really wanted to drag rocker, I feel the easiest way would probably be to basically only use the stock frame horns from the firewall forward, then fabricate the rest from the firewall back.t Then by being designed with a lower profile and rear suspension configuration would create that stock floor body drop. One could use cro-moly tubing to drastically reduce weight as well. It's actually a pretty common thing in MiniTruckin Mag(if you want to see some very SICK chassis, take a look through one).

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
I used to buy mini truckin all the time. I don't have a truck anymore though,lol good stuff in there though and plenty of ideas for people having a hard tim starting off with a design.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have a mini truck too, but it's just a shop truck. I thought about lowering it (It's a Nissan) by cranking down the torsion bars and adding blocks out back, but decided against it seeing as how I need it for work and it sees 30-40k miles a year.

85 Salon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
frame runs partially into the door jamb...which makes it a pain. First thing to do is to make it lay frame....which means raising your floor boards in the rear feet area.
Cutlass' are tricky=not worth the effort of a body drop.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
My old truck was a 2000 S-10 and it was dropped with springs and blocks but it road like Crap. But on smooth roads it handled and drove nice. Makes me wonder for my GP if i should run dropped spindles or shorter springs? Which one is smoother but better handling? I plan on dropping 2in in the front and 3in on the rear.. not a lowrider but something decent. Even though a lowrider would be nice.

85 Salon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
2'' spindles up front and a lowering coil in the rear. When you cut the stock springs or heat them the springs can no longer handle the weight they were designed for. And in return ride like crap.
Also, in case you did not know. S10 Spindles are compatable with g body's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor