Buick 455 in a g-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
There is a local 455/TH400 in a 74 Buick Electra for a reasonable price. How fast would this combo be in a g-body, assume stock engine, exhaust manifolds, etc. Would a mid 13 second quarter mile be realistic? This could be fun cheap project.

Maybe high 13s with a stock 74 motor but that would still require gears like 3.23/3.42s. There is a Regals section on www.v8buick.com where many have done this swap.

i was gonna ask the same questions, plus what motor mounts and all would i need for the swap? a buddy of mine just picked up a 71 buick wagon for demo, he runs SBCs in all his cars so he said he'd sell me the motor for $200!!

maliburacinfreak said:
i was gonna ask the same questions, plus what motor mounts and all would i need for the swap? a buddy of mine just picked up a 71 buick wagon for demo, he runs SBCs in all his cars so he said he'd sell me the motor for $200!!

I believe you can use the V6 mounts from a G body, but I am not positive.

I just did the swap myself Its awsome, Make your own frame pads all the aftermarket ones make it sit funny . If ya have any questions shoot me a tell Ill help ya as much as i can cause believe me its worth it . I can gimme ya a few heads up things . Check my post out in elcomino sectiong 455 updated progress. Jimmy

I also believe I have read that the common buick 3.8 mounts will work for installing your Buick 455. Another great resource is www.v8buick.com they have a section "V8 Buick powered Regals" where they have stickys pics and several guys who have or are doing this swap. Board is the ultimate resource for that motor as well. I also like www.trishieldperf.com/engines.htm as a resource for buying crate motors and or as a recepie to build one for particular output and goals. Scroll down and check them out.

I had a guy give me a Cadillac 500 because he could not take it with him in a move. Mine came out of a car after surviving the demo derby. In fact he built up a hi po pump gas 350 chevy for in his 85 GP and I rebuilt the Cad for in a Cutlass. Later found out we spent the same money although his has better rods pistons & valvetrain but needs it to handle the rpms. Anyway he was shocked at how much faster and more docile the Cutlass was than his GP. That said I have heard the sbc is a better demo motor because it can take overheating better possibly in part because of the 5 bolt per cylinder heads. The Buick 455 is one of my favorites to build a strong street motor out of although it is more costly. Although it might not be in HP+TQ per dollar on pump gas especially when you get your core for free and don't need gears & a converter etc depending on your goals. $200 is cheap especially if it runs. Some of the Buick builders will give you that and more just for a decent core without brackets or anything.

DOG

I have a 1982 Buick Regal with a 71 Stg1 455 Buick Big block in it.

Nope........the 3.8 mounts won't work.

You have to use the frame stands( or frame pads) from any Buick A-Body 70-72, that ran a 455 Buick in it... like a Skylark or a GS.

You can get them from www.taperformance.com .

Basicly the short version of the install, mount the the frame stands to the motor mounts and bolt the the motor mount stand combo to the engine, ( there are 4 holes on the block, use the 2nd & 4th holes).
Remove the current frame stands from your engine bay.
Bolt the eng and trans combo together, lower the combo in to the bay, & bolt the trans to the trans crossmember.
Countinue to lower the eng down till the frame stands (pads) seat themselves on the frame crossmember,position the engine side to side and adjust things still its centered & level.
Then take a spray can of paint (i used silver),spray it all around the area of the frame stands, & on them.

Pull the engine and trans out of the car.

Your left with a negative of the stands "footprint",with the holes will need to be drilled for the mount bolts.

Bolt in the stands(pads) to engine frame crossmember, the renistall eng trans combo.

Theres more tweaking than that. but thats it in essescence.

any questions Hollar.

later

maliburacinfreak

Use any Buick Big Block 455 header from a 68-72 GM a-body like the GS or the Skylark.

If you have the factory upper control arms, you will have to trim some of the " ear flange" behind the bushings, and maybe a dimple in the tube of that area.
If you are using tubluar aftermarket arms you don't have to dimple or trim.

Also some dimpling is required on the tube that runs down next to both frame rails.

Preinstall the headers in the engine bay, before installing the engine then mount to engine.
Now I have heard roumers that some have installed them from the bottom with the car in the air and engine installed.

On my Regal , the fuel line and the brakeline on the passenger side frame rail was awfully close to one of my header tubes so I relocated them so no issues would start.

The headers can be found used decently priced or can be purchased new from www.taperformance.com or Postons Buick.

The size mostly used is 1 7/8" primaries with 3" collectors, long tube design.
Now I have heard that T/A performance may have Shorties dunno yet.

Hope this helps some

helps a bunch man, thanks! id rather have long tubes over shorties anyway. if i ever get my buddy to pull the motor out of the wagon, it will soon be going in my malibu wagon. should be much more fun than my stockish chevy 350, itll definately be different!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor