Bumper replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topless86Cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2013
Virginia
I am looking to lighten my car and I have seen a 79 Cutlass with some sort of aftermarket plastic bumper that was painted. Would anyone know where I would be able to find it? thanks

Topless86Cut said:
I am looking to lighten my car and I have seen a 79 Cutlass with some sort of aftermarket plastic bumper that was painted. Would anyone know where I would be able to find it? thanks

First why do you need to lighten your car?
A 79' Cutlass has a steel front bumper so what you saw was probably a fiberglass replacement, since you already lightweight bumper cover over steel reinforcement and removing that would be dangerous on a street car, you might want to consider a fiberglass hood instead to help lighten it.

The main reason why I want to change them out is so I can paint the lower 6"-8" a black (all the way a round) to the paint scheme I want. The 79' I saw was an aftermarket that an old neighbor of mine had installed on his project 455 before sending it off to paint. A painted bumper looks a lot better than a chrome one. The lighter side would be more mental then performance I am sure because I have a measly 307 V8 and the only thing that will push this beast any faster would be to step it up to at least a 350 or 403 but for a weekend cruiser I was not ready to make that bump yet.

I have seen people paint the chrome on a Cutlass bumpers before there is a black one on here that did that and it looks pretty cool I'm guessing you would have to scuff up the chrome to make the paint stick but the rest of the prep is probably the same as any metal part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor