• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know what the biggest cam(lift/duration) you can put in a 305 is? I just bought a low milage 305 and was thinking of putting a little bigger bumpstick in it. But was going to weigh my options instead of just buying the one recomended by the speed shop.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
RedHotRegal said:
Does anyone know what the biggest cam(lift/duration) you can put in a 305 is? I just bought a low milage 305 and was thinking of putting a little bigger bumpstick in it. But was going to weigh my options instead of just buying the one recomended by the speed shop.
Do you still have to pass emissions where you live? If so I wouldn't go with something to crazy... anything with too much duration and you wont pass the HC test when you go through smog.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Yes, but I don't care. The limit is 20 years old so I don't have to do a test, but the car is still required to be legal. I have a few tricks to make it look legal. :twisted:

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
305s are pretty small, I wouldn.t go over a .470 lift or 220*@ .050 for duration. My 355 has a .490 lift w/ 230* & it's plenty for a street driver.

Hope this helps.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
Yea I don't have to take the test eithier. What do you mean you still make it look legal? I just ripped out all the tubing and put in a new carb and dist. after my pollution pump "fell off" I plugged all the crap i didn't need and then my computer just fell out the next day. kinda odd how that stuff falls out! lol! :D

c_unit productions

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2007
florida
82355supreme said:
305s are pretty small, I wouldn.t go over a .470 lift or 220*@ .050 for duration. My 355 has a .490 lift w/ 230* & it's plenty for a street driver.

Hope this helps.
yes i agree about the .470 but it dont matter the cubic inches. if u get too much lift the you will be gettin into the problem with needing a small converter. i used to run the comp cam .470 stock converter and still kept my a/c and brakes had plenty of vaccum. stock valve springs are only rated to no more than a .500 lift on the older cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor