C5/C6 transaxle in a G body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I'll say from the get go that there is no way I could ever afford to do this, but I am curious if anyone has ever tried to put the rear transaxle assembly from a C5/C6 Vette in a G body? It seems to me that it would help the car to get very close to the ideal 50/50 weight distribution to improve handling. It's something I would love to try if the parts ever fell into my hands. I can only remember hearing of 2 Hot Rods ever built with this drivetrain configuration: One was a 33 Willys built by John Buttera with a Porsche 928 Transaxle, and the other was the 66 Toronado built by Jay Leno that used the Vette stuff.

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
yes, do it!!

ok, seriously, this is a good idea. exspensive, yes, but a good idea. you could use a less exspensive porsche transaxle. either way you'd probally have to build a complete rear suspension for the transmision, unless you had the whole rear of the car.... and i wouldn't think it'd leave much trunk space, but i could be wrong. if you used the rear of either of these car's youd have to upgrade your front brake's as i know the corvette rear brakes are bigger then gn's stock front brake's, at least the same size rotor with a bigger caliper. it would handle very well, and be vary cool, i think. you could even cut out most of the trans tunnel and give you more leg room(thats always nice). what motor would you put in it though? i think a new supercharged north star would be cool, and the thing look's good without all those "beuty panel's" on it, and maybe some remote mount coil's too

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Twin turbo variable displacement 6.1 Hemi...

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
I know someone that did a complete C5 vette swap into an 89 S10 pick up

engine transmission diff the whole works ...( bought a totalled vette that had flipped)
then he dropped the truck 4 "
nice rig !

Dan

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
there is another guy on astrosafari.com that did it to his chev astro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor