Car stuttering when Auto down shifts

Sep 29, 2023
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I pick up a 1981 Monte Carlo about 3 weeks ago. It has a 2004 Silverado 5.3 in it and a th350 automatic transmission. The transmission will stutter when I'm slowing down, sometimes metal rubbing as well. I also wanted to make sure if the th350 came with 3 gears and over drive because I only notice it hitting 3 gears. Let me know what I should do.
I've also attached the car to show ya'll how it looks.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-13 at 3.39.24 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-13 at 3.39.24 PM.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 47

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
TH350s are non overdrive, 3 speeds transmissions.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Not sure what it is, but sounds like the same thing I had a th350 doing before it failed. Could it be something in the rear end?

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Several causes, but all is just tossing darts in the dark.

If you feel comfortable with it, do a flush and filter change. Pull the pan and inspect for worn or burnt clutch material, pieces of aluminum, bronze bushing material, or other debris.

Depending on age of unit, the direct and forward drums rub against each other until the land wears through then the snap ring pops out.

If the unit has the locking converter, this is common when 3 to 2 downshift happens, yet torque converter clutch doesn't disengage cleanly. The band and intermediate clutch pack will do this when it starts wearing down. The other packs will start slipping but you usually don't hear anything.

This happens when you engine brake by manual shift from Drive to 2nd and hammer the brakes at same time to get the tires to chirp or leave a patch, wears out the band.

If a shift kit was put in and 2nd gear oil supply was drilled out and accumulator spring removed, gives very hard snappy up shift from 1st to 2nd when in drive. This can wear out intermediate clutch pack too soon and can cause chatter. Sounds like dinner plates rattling when down shifting.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor