car wont turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.

916 dre

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2007
sacramento
the other day i was going somewhere and when i got there i car wasent turning off it kinda went boggle boggle boggle until i turn the key to start it and try again does anyone know what it is

What you are talking about is also called "Dieseling" Check and make sure your idle is adjusted. I had this problem with my stock engine when the idle was set to high, I messed with it to get it past emissions and then I had the same problem. Or your throttle could be hanging up a little bit, just a quick tip. But most likely if it presists its carbon build up.

if timing and idle adjustments dont fix it, try using the gm top engine cleaner, i think they call the product Cleens. buy the stuff in the bottle as opposed to an aerosol can. follow the instructions on the bottle and make sure to use it in an open area there will be ALOT of smoke.

the stuff works great, I hear seafoam works well also but I only have experience with the GM product. I grabbed a bottle the other day at the dealer and I think it was about 8 bucks.

I've used the Seafoam product already, it works very well. The instructions I was told are as follows:
1) Pour about 8 oz into a plastic or glass cup.
2) Start the car and let it get up to operating temp.
3) Pull off the brake booster hose and sip the Seafoam out of the cup a little at a time so it doesn't stall the engine right away. When you have just enough left to stall the engine, give it a big drink so it shuts off.
4) Wait about 10 min. before starting. While your waiting you can pour the rest into the tank to continue cleaning.
5) Nose the car into the wind, you don't want to be behind it.
6) Install new plugs if it needs it, sometimes the loose carbon will foul a plug or two.
I've done this to several cars with very good results. I get my Seafoam from the local NAPA store.

Higher octane gas usually stops dieseling too, but is an expensive fix. If all else fails and the car is an automatic, just shut the engine off with the transmission in drive, then shift in to park. This was the only dieseling fix I found for my first high school beater, a '76 Cordoba (LOL!)

-Mark-

i just put in new spark plugs and wires a month ago also sometimes when its in park and i give it gas black smoke a soote comes out

that sounds like a rich condition. if there are carbon buildups and hot spots it'd contribute to the dieseling

COuld also be the timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor