carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I recently had my '84 Regal w/3.8 have similar issues. My problem was that under heavy acceleration, I lost all power. This was especially bad uphill on the freeway when I went down to 25MPH up steep hills. :shock:

The things I considered:

- transmission kickdown failing
- exhaust back pressure
- carb float level
- and the winner was faulty throttle position sensor

stocksuspension

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2008
anaheim
well the car has a new transmission and i did notice that the kickdown cable appears to have a lot of slack. should it be like the t350s and have about 1/4 inch slacK? also i have noticed that it will diesel somtimes when
i shut it off. will look into the tps? will check voltage at idle and at wot. thanks for ur help

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Now that you mention the dieseling, I suggest checking your timing.

stocksuspension

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2008
anaheim
today i checked my timing. it was at 22 degrees, my tps voltage was at .88v with closed throttle. wot was 3.85v. tomorrow im going to check codes and see what i gives me

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
22 degrees?!?!? way too much, you should be at around 4 degrees at idle.
make sure that you unplug the EST connector at the distributor (warm engine) and then adjust the timing back down to the recommended spec.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
The spec for the 231 V6 is 15° BTDC.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
really?!? i'm used to them pulling it back for emissions.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
It's what Chilton's gives for the 231s. The V8s are pulled back a lot more.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'm not doubting you, i'm just surprised.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
there are 2 connectors on the distributor. one is a 4 wire for the computer--thats the Electronic Spark Timing. i'd double check it and also pull at least one spark plug, just to check condition. unfortunately it's a problem with a lot of possible causes so nailing it down may take a bit online. it could be a carb out of adjustment, choke not functioning, bad coil, plugged fuel filter...
i'd buy the repair manual for your car.
what trans do you have? the 3-speed or the 4-speed? if it's the 4-speed 200r4 you adjust the TV cable (kickdown/downshift) by pushing in the button on the clip by the back of the carb. then you open the throttle to WOT and you're done. if it is the r4 then TV adjustment is critical to the trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor