Carbed 02 Truck 5.3 into 87 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
***I do not want to start a debate about carbs vs fuel injection. So please, if you feel putting a carb on a LS motor is a bad idea, feel free to start a thread about it. I would like this thread to possibly be helpful for those who may want to do the same as I am getting ready to do.***
Thank you for your understanding in advance.

Finally found and purchased a motor for my swap. This wont be a fast swap by any means considering Ill only be working on this during the weekends. I will be posting some pictures and updates along the way.
But please do not consider this a build thread just yet. Im sure Ill have questions along the way.

I have researched and researched( and by researched I mean Googled) tons of swap threads and I want this one to be as clear as possible with as many part numbers as I can possibly provide for everything I put into the car.
This will be a drop in. I am not opening this motor up. I want to see if there is such a thing as a true "low budget swap". And by low budget I mean under $2000.00. I paid $550.00 for the running motor with everything except the starter. All acc, fuse block, computer, harness, airbox, all sensors, everything. I plan to sell the intake with fuel rails, ecm and harness and whatever else to help fund the swap.

My original plan was to swap and run the LS as is, but I have decided to go carburated instead. I like the idea of not messing with the driveshaft/transmission, not messing with the fuel system too much, and not having to mess with the harness and not needing to pay for the computer getting reprogerammed. This is going to be my slow, but hopefully sucessful first LS swap.

So far, the very loose plan is this- first order will be stripping off what I dont need and getting the motor in there. Im not going to spend too much timing dressing this motor up. 1 inch setbacks and trans adapter to keep and use my (soon to be built up) 2004r is the plan. Going a/c delete so no worries there. And we are going to try to modify the truck pan to save money so we will see how that goes.
Second will be fitment of exhaust and coil relocation. I may make some coil relocation brackets and move all of them. Not sure yet. Not sure about Xmember, manifolds or headers,,,more to come on those things.
Possibly adding an oil catch can but more on that later too.
Third will be all coolant concerns from which radiator and what temp t-stat, to what hoses and onto to steam vent placement.
Fourth will be fuel delivery and lines.
Fifth will be the carb set up and tv cable. And the programmer of course.
Sixth will be gauges. Not sure what Im going to do here yet, but I have a few ideas.
Seventh will be whatever we forgot or fudged up lol. I know there are a few other things but this is enough to fill my plate for now.

This is both my friends and my first LS motor any of us have ever touched. So if your still reading and any of this sounds interesting to you, follow along and we will all learn how to do this together. Hopefully nothing blows up and nobody gets hurt.
As an added bonus, there might be a chance of a turbo making its way under my hood if we can do this right.

Reactions: 3 users

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
Im also in the process of doing a 6.0 carbed wit a th350 trans so i will be fallowing along as well and will share info as i go into my swap right now my concerns are exhaust manifolds i have the 6.0 ones from denali and i also have gto but i hear some say yes and no as far as fitment guess ill just have to test fit to get my answer

Westbank of NOLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2014
New Orleans
Thank you for being so understanding to the plight of the really low budget tinkerer. My engine swap budget is fighting to pass $1,000 (Saving money is a lost art) , and I just like the look of a carbed setup. I will be following, know that you have at least one supporter

Reactions: 1 user

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Im also in the process of doing a 6.0 carbed wit a th350 trans so i will be fallowing along as well and will share info as i go into my swap right now my concerns are exhaust manifolds i have the 6.0 ones from denali and i also have gto but i hear some say yes and no as far as fitment guess ill just have to test fit to get my answer
I too have heard conflicting information on the GTO manifolds. The good thing is, there doesnt seem to be any shortage of F body manifolds for sale. Pretty pricey though IMO now that evryone knows they are used for LS swaps.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Thank you for being so understanding to the plight of the really low budget tinkerer. My engine swap budget is fighting to pass $1,000 (Saving money is a lost art) , and I just like the look of a carbed setup. I will be following, know that you have at least one supporter
Thanks for the support. I was going to call this thread "Poor boy swap" but didnt think that would have went over to well.
Overall, Im shooting for a clean, cheap and presentable swap.
Ive heard (read) so many stories about how expensive these swaps end up being, unexpected costs, etc,,,, and Im sure something will probably come up for this swap too. But I plan on us trying to make and modify as much as possible.
Im also planning on things like going with used rebuilt carb and possibly buying only one f body or corvette manifold and using one of the truck manifolds I have lol. Unless I can get my hands on some used LS swap f body or s10 headers. Drilling out the flywheel, going to try modding stock x-member and/or a junkyard double humper, any and EVERYTHING to save money is the plan. Im also selling everything from my stock motor to help offset costs.
When I said under $2000.00 for this swap, I was being generous.

Last edited:

1970camaroRS

Apprentice
Jul 17, 2014
Got a question for u guys on the msd box 6010 to fire the coils is it necessary to get the seperate harness or does the box itself come with everything u need

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8886
The box comes with a short harness that's enough to mount in most common under-engine areas. The harness you're showing is for adapting the box to early LS2 engines with the front mounted cam sensor.

MarentetteService

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Also thinking carbed late model engine for my swap. I like the idea of keeping the trans and shifter stuff the same. Easy to swap a carbed engine for a carbed engine. Some swap plates, a bit o switchero on the a/c and power steering pump pulley, and figuring out what manifolds will work with minimal cost. I like the holley set up to keep the engine low and I want to keep my HVAC and building a mount for the trans to use the factory crossmember would be easy, but the cut outs for the exhaust in the holley set up is nice.

Going carbed would also simplify gauges.

MarentetteService

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Also wondering about the MSD box. What all do do you need to hook it up aside for the right box for the right reluctor?

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
The box comes with a short harness that's enough to mount in most common under-engine areas. The harness you're showing is for adapting the box to early LS2 engines with the front mounted cam sensor.
Cool good thing i asked before buy n it thanks fellas hopefully it helps other peaple for future reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor