Changing my 81 Malibu Landau to a regualr 2 door coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2009
i bought a 81 Malibu Landau that i am going to make into a nice street car. i am in the process of the body work right now and i heard from a buddy of mine that i can change it from a landau to a reg 2 door coupe. i wanted to see if anyone had any info on how to do so. this is my first landau and my 5th malibu, all the others have never been a landau. my buddy said something about removing the spot welds on the glass panel on the side and putting in a 2 door coupe glass, i wanted to check before i had done so and see if there was anything more to be done. thank you.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
He'd be correct. I'm pretty sure you also need a different 1/4 window trim panel on the inside, and the trim along the bottom (and obviously the front) of the 1/4 window are different as well. It's been discussed before, so I already have pics ;) The vinyl was already removed on mine, they just didn't replace the panel (similar to yours most likely).
DSC00921.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
jonnyslick said:
What's the difference between the two from the outside? Does anyone have a side pic of both?

Here's a couple of pics. Hope it helps.

The landau I had.

hpim0028.jpg

My son's coupe(old pic)

editb.jpg

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Some guys have made plates to replace the 'Landau' panels as well. I think I'm going to remove my welded in panel & go with a non-landau setup though, helps make the windows look a little more streamlined.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I kinda like the landau version. It would look good with the back windows tinted.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
jonnyslick said:
Man .. I really want a Malibu now. I'd love to have one with a LS engine and a 6 speed. Yummy.
That's my goal ;) Planning on a 6.0/T56 Magnum... maybe even a supercharger, but that would probably be down the road after everything is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor