Choke Light --> Gauge Swap

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
81 Grand Prix. Soon I'm taking out my V6 & all CCC stuff, and putting a Buick 350 in. My current carb uses an electric choke, and so will my 350/new carb. I'm also swapping in gauges and a tach, and I'd like the choke light in the new cluster to work.
I want to swap in the speedo / tach cluster now & get the tach working.
I understand that choke goes through the oil pressure switch, and the pic below shows the typical three wires on mine.

Two questions:

If I swap this cluster in, will the choke light just work or is some rewiring required?
Is this whole circuit independent of CCC?

1697208426429.png

1697215931513.png

Attachments

• 1697211932247.png
    1697211932247.png
    306.8 KB · Views: 50

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I used a t- fitting and a short nipple to keep my original oil pressure sensor alongside the new one for the gauges. I didn't change any wiring. The blue wire goes to the choke. I did the same stuff as you on my 82 Grand Prix.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Now depending on how confident you feel in your depinning/repinning skills you can switch the on wire on the pressure switch connector (tan) to go from the oil light to the choke light cavity in the C100 connector but then you'd have to make a new wire from the C100 to the cluster which would require a terminal each end. This is one of those times that if it wasn't for me being swamped with things up here I'd make a day to head down to help out.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor