Column to Floor Shifter: What Else Do I Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
I have an 85 EC with a column shifter and 350C transmission. I want to convert my EC to a floor shifter. I have acquired the following:

1.) all the brackets for the factory console;
2.) factory console;
3.) factory shifter with cable and clips (unknown as to what transmission this was paired with); and
4.) factory floor shift steering column

I do not have the following (please let me know what else that I am missing):

a.) shifter cable dust boot and two fasteners to attach to floor;
b.) fastener that attaches end of shifter cable to selector shaft bracket

Questions:

i.) The transmission cable bracket appears to be a modified turbo 350 bracket (apparently modified to fit a 200 4R transmission), do you all agree?

ii.) Do I need a different selector shaft bracket so that I have somewhere to attach the shifter cable end to the transmission selector shaft bracket?

iii.) What type of fasteners are used to fasten the dust boot to the floor (are they sheet metal screws or regular cap screws?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

shifter_dust_boot.jpg

shifterbracket.jpg

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Questions:

i.) The transmission cable bracket appears to be a modified turbo 350 bracket (apparently modified to fit a 200 4R transmission), do you all agree?

ii.) Do I need a different selector shaft bracket so that I have somewhere to attach the shifter cable end to the transmission selector shaft bracket?

iii.) What type of fasteners are used to fasten the dust boot to the floor (are they sheet metal screws or regular cap screws?

Answers:

i.) Definitely modified for something, kinda looks like my 200-4r bracket.

ii.) No, looks like your missing the nut and i-bolt that goes through the slotted opening in the bracket that the cable end attaches to.

iii.) My dust boot had like 1/4" length 1/4" hex head screws securing it to the floor

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
The shifter, cable and trans actuator lever all need to be matched to your transmission.

You're correct about that cable attaching bracket; it looks like a 350 bracket that was modified to fit a 200-4R. If that shifter has the 200-4R shift detent plate, you will have problems getting your 350 selector positions set up correctly...including the Park/Neutral switch adjustment.

Make sure your shifter has the correct detent plate to match a 350 trans (PRNDL, no OD position) and use the proper cable; if you do that, it's easy.

BTDT...

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
jmt455 said:
The shifter, cable and trans actuator lever all need to be matched to your transmission.

You're correct about that cable attaching bracket; it looks like a 350 bracket that was modified to fit a 200-4R. If that shifter has the 200-4R shift detent plate, you will have problems getting your 350 selector positions set up correctly...including the Park/Neutral switch adjustment.

Make sure your shifter has the correct detent plate to match a 350 trans (PRNDL, no OD position) and use the proper cable; if you do that, it's easy.

BTDT...

I am a little confused with regards to the detent plate in the shifter. I thought that GM eliminated detent plates in shifters in 1972 (my best guess). I have attached a picture of the factory shifter that I will be using and also for comparison a 68-72 shifter with detent plate.

Please confirm that the 78-87 factory floor shifter has no detents (this statement is not meant to apply to lightning rods or any hurst products). Additionally, please confirm that the detents are instead obtained through the detents machined into the gear selector shaft (the large sawtooth looking piece) which connects the shifter cable to the valve body. I have attached photo of a turbo 350 with pan off where where you can see the detents and also a picture of a turbo 400 which has the same system for detents,

If it is true that the detents are controlled by the transmission, is it really true that there is a different factory floor shifter for 200 4R and 350C applications.

Finally, does anyone have a picture of the hardware and hookup of the factory shifter cable to the transmission selector shaft bracket?
350_trans_pan_off_arrow.jpg

TH400-Detent-Spring-2.gif

shifter_floor2.jpg

68_72_detent_plate.jpg

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
Maybe the newer shifters are different from the Grand Prix shifter i used in my Bonneville....

Here is a link to the Shiftworks web page that shows the comparison of the shifter detent plates: http://www.shiftworks.com/tip.htm

My shifter came from a 78-80 Grand Prix and it had the TH350 plate in the shifter.

Their conversion kits come with a new lever for the transmission shift rod; because of the geometry change in the detent plate, the OEM shifter lever will not work properly with the Shiftworks detent plate.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
tc1959 said:
I had to get all these bushings to get my set up to work properly.I got the bushings from GM Classic Parts.

Where do these bushings go?

Where does the spring go?

What do they do?

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
xcookpac said:
tc1959 said:
I had to get all these bushings to get my set up to work properly.I got the bushings from GM Classic Parts.

What do they do?

What do they do?

pacman350

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2012
monticello, Ga
i did the same to my car because it had been stolen from the previous owner the the column had been busted and once he got it back he didnt want to fix it and it sat for 3 years until i bout it. i just swap the steering column out of my 85 monte dat i was about to sale cause it was a factory floor shift car. with dat i had to get a floor shifter so i bout the hurst v-matic cause it come with cable grommets hardware and a assortment of selector brackets and pan brackets for just about any transmission.

Attachments

• SNC00260.jpg
    SNC00260.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 5,138

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
xcookpac said:
xcookpac said:
tc1959 said:

What do they do?

6565474717_6bbf4dea2c_b.jpg

The white bushing is inside the cup-shaped bracket at the left side of the photo.
The white bushing and the spring keep the "slop" out of the shift linkage.

The oval bushing goes in the elongated hole at the bottom of the steering column.

On most of these older vehicles, these bushings help restore a tight, solid shift feel.
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor