Confused on which way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmerc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2009
Ok here's the story, I picked up a 1988 cutlass for some parts I needed for my 85 figuring I would sell the 1988 when I was done with it. The previous owner had blown the timing chain but other then that the car was in terrific condition. The front of the motor down to the timing chain was off the car when I purchased it and all the parts were in boxes, anyway when I went to reassemble it there were parts missing, the fuel pump drive assembly that bolts to the camshaft, the timing cover, the harmonic balancer, all the attaching bolts etc. now my dilemma is this , I can get a full 307 motor but it's not to close to me and would be a big PITA to go get, I also have access locally to a 1970's 350 motor. I'm confused on which way to go?

Is the 350 you have access to an Olds 350? If so, that would be a straight forward swap for the 307. Do you have all of the pullies and brackets from the 307 or are those missing as well?

You can buy everything you need for the 307 piece by piece but if the 350 you're looking at is an Olds engine then you could 1) use the timing cover and other parts off it to fix the 307 or 2) do a straight up swap for the 350.

Just keep in mind that anything bigger or more powerful you put into the car means the trans is less likely to like it and you'll likely be fixing that shortly down the road.

I have all the pulleys but no bolts, if I purchase all the parts I need it would cost more then what I can get the 350 motor for. yes the 350 is an oldsmobile motor. I was just wondering about the electronic hook up being different on the 350. good to know I could use the parts from the 350 on the 307 but if I have the 350 and its a direct swap I may as well put ion the bigger motor.

307's are getting scrapped left and right here. Nobody wants them except people w fwd Olds Toronado / Riviera. Might as well tear it down sell the heads scrap it and buy the 350...

Get the olds 350 clean it up put it in. Its a direct swap and you will be happy.

88ss408 said:
Get the olds 350 clean it up put it in. Its a direct swap and you will be happy.

X2. The 350 Olds is an all around better motor than the 307. Everything swaps over to the 350.
There are 3 things on the 307 that won't keep a 350 happy.

1. The 307's "A5" intake manifold. This intake is too small internally for the 350 breath correctly. The "A4" is the aluminum intake you want to use. Or just use the 350's iron intake till you can get a "A4". Most of the lines and vacuum ports are the same.

2. The 307's exhaust manifolds. Same thing, too small for breathing. If the 350 comes with it's exhaust manifolds then use them. You may have to get a new cross over for the 350 if it doesn't have one.
If you have to, the 307 parts will work on the 350 for a while but it will eventually hurt the 350 down the road. It's like trying to drink a big gulp soda with a tiny coffee straw. No flow. So use them while you look for parts to help it flow.
Driving it this way the motor will feel strong then the power drops off. Thats not how a Olds 350 acts when it's breathing freely.

3. The other 307 part that will hold the 350 back is the CCC HEI distributor. The only fix I know is to get a custom module that has the CCC hook up. It will actually let a 307 rev past 6000rpm.
But if your gonna use it as a DD, then the CCC HEI will be fine. It won't hurt a stock Olds 350 at all.
I hope tis helps.
T
Oh and I was born, raised and raced in NY. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor