Converting to floor shifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

I have a stupid column shifter on my 85 Grand Prix. It didn't really bother me that much until I drove an older truck the other day that had one of those Hurst/B&M column to floor shifter conversions. It was really neat. Basically I don't want an OEM looking shifter. I want a Hurst set-up. I think it's like 100 in Summit for the assmebly and stuff.

Since my GP is only the V6, it only has the 3 speed auto. what transmission would that be? Could I get this done? I'd assume it would be an extensive job myself, so approximately what should I expect to pay for a shop to do this?

Thanks a whole lot!

8)

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Sorry, you can't put a floor shifter behand a V6 motor. The floor shifter will sap so much power that your car won't be able to climb any hills.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
mrapii said:
Sorry, you can't put a floor shifter behand a V6 motor. The floor shifter will sap so much power that your car won't be able to climb any hills.

No, not a floor shift manual. Just a floor shift auto.

:wink:

Not that the V6 has any power to climb hills anyway!!

:p

Can I maybe get a link to the page please?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
I've never seen anyone use an aftermarket shifter on a V6. I'm not sure that they make specific application for it. If you know if it is a forward or reverse valve body then you might be able to by a generic 3 spd one and mount it up. I'll keep looking but so far I'm not seeing anything that will match up. Did they offer factory floor shifters in the 231 GPs?

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not completely sure since these cars were already long gone before I was born, but from what I'm seeing, no. That doesn't mean that GM never offered it. GM does do weird things sometimes. But the Grand National and T Type were floor shift V6's. It's basically the same set up, only the GN is a much, MUCH faster car. Oh...and turbo. lol. That's all I can think of at this point...

:p

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
floor shift

Regarding floor shifters. First a manual transmission suck less hp than an automatic. As for manual trans behind a 3.8, they existed, at least in Canadian built cars. I have one. They were built in 81, Malibu,s. We call them Iraqui taxis as they were built for export to Iraq and never went over. Maybe a thousand were built. I will have a better enswer for that in a couple weeks from GM. I can post a picture for anyone interested

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Re: floor shift

gman said:
Regarding floor shifters. First a manual transmission suck less hp than an automatic. As for manual trans behind a 3.8, they existed, at least in Canadian built cars. I have one. They were built in 81, Malibu,s. We call them Iraqui taxis as they were built for export to Iraq and never went over. Maybe a thousand were built. I will have a better enswer for that in a couple weeks from GM. I can post a picture for anyone interested
Thats awesome! Talk about a rare car. But I think he was talking about an aftermarket autotrans shifter on the floor. Like a racheting type. If I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor