Couple questions....... (wheels, transmission,paint etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyPuck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2008
I recently picked up an '86 cutlass with a freshly rebuilt 305..

Transmission: Now the transmission is slipping. I noticed that the fluid is overfilled and is way overdue for being changed. Is it worth it to try and do a trans filter/ flush and fill or should I just bite the bullet and have it rebuilt ($385) I was really hoping to get a bit of time on it and then switch to a 200r4.

Wheels: will s-10 wheels fit? I have 14" rallyes right now but they are in desperate need of replacement and I don't want to spend money to put 14" tires back on it as I'd like to move up to at least 15". I'm able to get a set of s-10 wheels with good tires for $50.

Paint: The guy I bought the car from primered the car over the paint because he didn't like the color (Lt. mettallic Green) I will be having the car repainted the factory color and am not worried about the exterior but they also primered the door jams, etc. Is there a way to take off the primer without taking the paint off? I will be having the car painted on a budget and the price will go up quickly if they have to get into the tight spaces.

385 for a rebuild is a steal, s10 wheels will bolt right up and before you try to save the door jambs from being repainted make sure the paint is not laquer, if it is you need to strip it because you can mess up the rest of the paint by means of chemical reaction. you car is a 86 so it may have base clear on it...

$385 for a rebuild is too cheap. Unless this is someone you know who's doing you a favor, I'd be suspicious.

regalman4925 said:
385 for a rebuild is a steal, s10 wheels will bolt right up and before you try to save the door jambs from being repainted make sure the paint is not laquer, if it is you need to strip it because you can mess up the rest of the paint by means of chemical reaction. you car is a 86 so it may have base clear on it...

My 86 Cutlass has laquer. I hate it. :x

Geesie said:
$385 for a rebuild is too cheap. Unless this is someone you know who's doing you a favor, I'd be suspicious.

It's someone I know... Basically a "I'll only charge you parts" deal..

You can paint over lacquer with enamel, but not the other way around. Lacquer thinner will lift enamel because of the nature of it as a solvent. Once lacquer dries, the solvents have evaporated and it is no longer an issue. If you think you will have a problem, you can use a sealer between the two. To mask off the jambs, you can buy a cylindrical masking from your local jobber that is designed to allow the paint to graduate into the old paint and make less of a line.

Well good news and bad news on my transmission........

I went to Pull-A-Part today and walked away with a complete door, grills, and a 15" set of Buick Ralleyes with decent tires..

The good news.....

While switching tires I noticed the right rear tire was bald when all my other ones were 1/2 tread. I started looking and the rear drum was tight. I loosened it up and put the 15's on and took it for a drive and no more transmission "slipping."

I'm thinking the brake was hanging up and was dragging the tire off the line till it got enough speed to overcome the "drag."

The bad news......

Everyone I know just assumed that my car had the 350 trans since it is a factory V-8 with a 3 speed..... Well we were all wrong. It's a thm200... :roll: :x

What's all involved with the thm200- 200r4 swap?

TV cable, crossmember, and maybe a driveshaft. luckily you can get everything from the junkyard.
where are you located? i have my original x-member from the monte and don't need it.

megaladon6 said:
TV cable, crossmember, and maybe a driveshaft. luckily you can get everything from the junkyard.
where are you located? i have my original x-member from the monte and don't need it.

I'm in Knoxville, TN.....

The hardest part will be the driveshaft, all the junkyards around here mangle the driveshaft and gas tanks moving the cars around with forklifts..... 😢

I thought the 200 driveshaft mated up fine with the 2004R. The 700-R4 won't but I was sure the 200, 350, and 2004R all had the same length driveshaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor