Cutlass 350???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwiz

n00b
Sep 6, 2006
I was in the junk yard this past weekend checking out a 78-80 Cutlass 4 door, hoping it had the aluminum radiator support (nope, just the hood and bumper support) when my friend asked what kind of engine the car had in it. I hadn't even bothered to look since usually these cars' engines are'nt very exciting. When I looked it had an Olds V8. I checked the emissions decal and it said 5.7 liter (350). I did a double take and verified that it was definitely NOT a diesel and definitely WAS an Olds V8.
I had always heard that the 350 only came in Hurst/W30 cars, but I recalled seeing an ad for another cutlass that claimed a factory Olds 350 which I dismissed as an error. However, this four door has me wondering...
This engine looked totally factory. No missing or plugged vaccum lines that I could tell. Stock manifolds, valve covers, air cleaner etc. Power steering and AC hooked up. The car also had Hydra-boost brakes.
The car appeared to have factory paint and I didn't see any diesel emblems or traces of them being removed as in a diesel to gas conversion. It had a four barrell, sway bars, and factory steel mags. No vinyl top, but fairly plush and optioned interior.
Anyway, what do you think the deal with this car is? Is there a way to "decode" this car to see if it's a factory 350? I'm planning to go back for a closer look.
Thanks from a new guy

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
The car also had Hydra-boost brakes.

Then it probably was a 350 diesel at some point. I don't think you could get hydroboost in anything but. Putting it on a gas engine is just a matter of putting the old PS bracket on the new engine. The diesel block IIRC *is* the standard olds block. All the accessories will bolt right up to your gas engine.

The GP403 still has the hydroboost brakes/AC/etc. from when it was diesel.

What year is it? If its >= '81, see if its got a ECM. If not then it was a diesel, (or it was removed). Check the gas cap and filler tube, the gas door/lic. plate cover, the fuel gauge, etc.

That all said, you could get the 350 and 403 in '78-'79 in the (B)ig cars ('88/'98) and in '77 Cutlass, and that could be put in pretty easy. I'd have to do some looking but its possible they could've been had in the 4-door/wagons as well.

BUT, judging from the hydroboost still being there odds are it was or still is a diesel.

[ diesel diesel diesel! typing that word is a biotch! :D ]

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
My Grandma had an '84 4 dr cutlass (i think it was an 84) It had the police package. fr/rr sways, big rearend, th350 and a factory 350. She had the mastercylinder bust on her and had no brakes. She went through a busy intersection but luckly no one hit her. she took it to the dealership that did her maintenance and traded it in on a new car. She didn't want anyone in her family to have it in case something like that happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor