Cutlass keeps blowing cig/clock fuse!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
My 88 Cutlass keeps blowing the 20amp cig/clock fuse which also controls my stereo and Im wondering why? As soon as i replaced it the fuse blew again, I tried two more fuse and they blew too. This fuse has blew out before in the past but never back to back like that. Also sometimes my cig lighter socket would send sparks out from inside the socket. Would this have to do anything with the cigarette lighter socket not being grounded right or would it have to do with wiring? Also Im wondering if the fact that the trim that goes around the cig lighter/ac/radio is hanging off (ac control unit only has 2 screws on one side securing it so it pushes out the trim plate) would have anything to do with it?

that just means you have a short. if things are hanging out then some wires might have been rubbing something and causing the sheilding to rub off, causing the short. if yer lighter isnt grounded there would be no voltage going to it. so you might have some wires crossed some where.

So how do I fix it I have no idea where to even begin

Check your cig. lighter socket. Sometimes a small piece of metal will find its way into the socket. When it bridges the circuit between the positive terminals and the lighter case, poof goes the fuse. Had a similar problem in a Corvette years ago. The clock stem nut came loose and fell into the lighter socket prior to me owning the car. By the time I would change the fuse it would move away from the positive contact and I'd go weeks before another short. Eventually it would work its way to trouble again. Only when I took the socket out of the console for inspection did the offending piece fall out.

Bill

billyjack said:
Check your cig. lighter socket. Sometimes a small piece of metal will find its way into the socket. When it bridges the circuit between the positive terminals and the lighter case, poof goes the fuse. Had a similar problem in a Corvette years ago. The clock stem nut came loose and fell into the lighter socket prior to me owning the car. By the time I would change the fuse it would move away from the positive contact and I'd go weeks before another short. Eventually it would work its way to trouble again. Only when I took the socket out of the console for inspection did the offending piece fall out.

Bill

x2i would put money on it that the culprit is that cig lighter socket

where could i get a new stock cigarette lighter from? is the junkyard the only way to find one? I work at autozone but all we have is universal types not the stock ones.

I had a problem when using the lighter, it would blow the fuse. Replaced the lighter and the problem went away. Also had a socket that caused the same problem, so it could be either one.

billyjack said:
Check your cig. lighter socket. Sometimes a small piece of metal will find its way into the socket. When it bridges the circuit between the positive terminals and the lighter case, poof goes the fuse.

Bill

I also agree with this. Just shine a flashlight in there and see if there is anything in there. If there is sparks shooting out of your lighter, then I would bet that the lighter is the problem. If there's nothing in there you can see, just unplug it and try another fuse. If the fuse doesn't blow, then it's your lighter for sure.

For a replacement, take your old one to the parts store with you and see if any of the universal ones will fit. Most are the same size I think, so you should be OK. Otherwise check a wrecking yard. But just note that all gbodys don't use the same lighter.So again, take yours with and compare it.

As mentioned, unplug your cig lighter and try it.

I have had several G-body's that the wire going into the cig lighter had a bare spot in it where it had a hole worn into it by the sharp edge of the lighter. These were bench seat cars with the pull-out cig lighter/ash tray and not the console version. Also, I've had power antenna's cause this issue. If you disconnect the cig lighter and it still does it, unhook the power antenna from below your heater core and see if that make a difference.

At least yours is a dead-short. Those are easier to find, mine is shorting randomly and randomly no connectivity at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor