Cutlass motor mounts, V6 or V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Does anyone know if the motor mounts below are for an Olds 307, or a Buick 3.8L, or something else? (hope the picture posted) The registration to the car says V6, but the VIN code and the RPO code both say Olds 307. I have no idea what the title says, my mom locked it in a safe being as the title is in her name (I bought the car when I was 17 and wanted cheaper insurance) The car was purchased without an engine by me. I bought and Olds 307 for it from a friend who had in in his 87 Fleetwood Brougham. The motor mounts in the Cadillac are completely different than the ones in he cutlass (I can take pictures of them if needed) They are at least 3 inches wide and have rubber spacers within them. Does anybody know what exactly the deal is here? Thanx! :wtf:

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
um... okay.... how do i add pictures of the mounts to this page?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Sounds like you may have small block chevy mounts. The frame mounts for an olds V8 for a G body are very small, no rubber, the pad sticks up about 1 inch or so, and the pad is about 2 1/2 inches square, the mount is held on by only 2 bolts, and is rectangular (the pad is not centered, it placed more towards the bottom of the mount). Here's a pic of what it should look like (number 5).
mount.jpg

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
2fit661ca said:
Does anyone know if the motor mounts below are for an Olds 307, or a Buick 3.8L, or something else? (hope the picture posted) The registration to the car says V6, but the VIN code and the RPO code both say Olds 307. I have no idea what the title says, my mom locked it in a safe being as the title is in her name (I bought the car when I was 17 and wanted cheaper insurance) The car was purchased without an engine by me. I bought and Olds 307 for it from a friend who had in in his 87 Fleetwood Brougham. The motor mounts in the Cadillac are completely different than the ones in he cutlass (I can take pictures of them if needed) They are at least 3 inches wide and have rubber spacers within them. Does anybody know what exactly the deal is here? Thanx! :wtf:

The picture above is correct for a G-body 307 (and a B-body as well, the brackets and mounts are the same). The Caddy used different mounts, despite the similarity between the D-body and B-body chassis. The Caddy mounts for the 307 Olds used the Chevy frame mounts (rubber with the metal clamshell around it) and unique all-metal brackets that bolt to the Olds block. Go figure. This is similar to what was done with the Olds 350 in the first gen Seville and the Olds 403 in the Trans Am. If you have both the frame brackets and the block brackets from the Caddy, you can use them in the Cutlass. Simply bolt the frame brackets to the crossmember in the Chevy mount location and use the metal block brackets to mate to them. This should put the motor in exactly the same location as if you had used the stock G-body Olds brackets. Alternately, if you want to use the correct G-body metal frame brackets, then you need Anchor P/N 2328 rubber motor mounts. Either setup will work fine.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
AWESOME!!!!! This is a HUGE releif!!!! I was beginning to think that the cutlasss came with the V6 and I was going to have some wireing problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor