Cutlass wont start (no noise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
I have a 1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic (RWD) and with a viper alarm and it wont start. I turn the key and it turns all the way but it feels like theres not much resistance like usual and when turning the key the car makes no effort whatsoever to crank up. I dont hear any clicking noises or anything and with the key turned all the way the radio doesnt come on and none of the guage lights are on but the dome light comes on and the lights that come on when you open the drivers door still come on so the battery should be good. what could be my problem? broken ignition switch?

sounds like there is a bad connection on the battery triminals if they are dirty or kinda losse the interior lights will come on but it wont be good to start the engine i had the same problem with my gp or the battery could be runnin low on charge.

Double check your fuses first. Check the power connector for the ignition switch, you should see a pink, purple, orange, brown, and maybe a couple other wires running to it (I don't remember for sure exactly how many wires are connected to it). The pink wire is hot +12v constant, if it doesn't have power there are also multiple fusible links that run power to the car. Make sure all of those are intact, they are down on the starter where the battery is connected from the factory. If all is good so far though, double check the rod for the ignition switch to see if it's connected & working properly (it will be easiest if you unbolt the column & lower it for this). If everything moves properly double check for continuity between the prong the pink wire connects to and the orange/pink/purple wire prongs. The orange/brown wires should have continuity when the switch is 'on', and the purple one should have power when it's in 'start' (crank). If those are good then it's likely something else under the dash, and possibly related to the alarm.

Jeezycol said:
I have a 1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic (RWD) and with a viper alarm and it wont start. I turn the key and it turns all the way but it feels like theres not much resistance like usual and when turning the key the car makes no effort whatsoever to crank up. I dont hear any clicking noises or anything and with the key turned all the way the radio doesnt come on and none of the guage lights are on but the dome light comes on and the lights that come on when you open the drivers door still come on so the battery should be good. what could be my problem? broken ignition switch?

Looks like you already solved your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor