do 83 fenders match to a euro headerpanel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
I am not putting the chrome trim (on an 88) back on my monte and now the front of the fender doesnt match the rest of the car, so i was looking at an 83 and the front of the fenders matches the rest of the body so i wanted to know if i found some 83 fenders would they match up to the euro header panel that i have now? Let me know if you need pics.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Those look like my fenders now, When you take off the chrome trim the bottom of the panel is flat instead of contouring like the rest of the body.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
There is probably a filler panel that bolts to the bottom of the fender that fills in the body line on the fender to meet the bumper cover. GM did this on the MCSS too. The two are the same stamping, just one has a piece bolted to it that you will need to transfer to the new fenders. Unfortunately, the stainless trim probably hides the mating of the two pieces, so you would need to get a different solution to make it look right.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Exactly, when i pulled off the chrome you can now see where the parts meet together. I think one fenders been changed though cause one fender looks like an SS fender with the panel spot welded on and the other looks like it is factory. Looks like ill just go to mikesmontes and order new fenders to start fresh. The joys of building a car from up north, never again. Stick to Florida cars!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, every car I find in Copher's (LKQ) that is from up north is useless to pull parts from! I went junkyarding up in Binghamton NY when I was on vacation last winter, and every single car at the local U Pull It was rotted out around the wheel wells and underneath! I will add that a western car would be even better than one from Florida since they do not have to deal with the humidity that seems to rot old cars from the inside out down here.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
81-86 Sport Coupe(SC) Monte front fenders are different than the 86-88 Luxury Sport(LS) front fenders. The LS front fenders are an inch longer, the 83 fender will bolt on BUT it will be an inch shorter up front by the bumper PLUS the LS does not have a marker light on the front fenders while the SC montes have marker lights on the front fender.

Randy

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
ss4ever said:
81-86 Sport Coupe(SC) Monte front fenders are different than the 86-88 Luxury Sport(LS) front fenders. The LS front fenders are an inch longer, the 83 fender will bolt on BUT it will be an inch shorter up front by the bumper PLUS the LS does not have a marker light on the front fenders while the SC montes have marker lights on the front fender.

ss4ever is correct on the differences. You lose the body line between the bumper and wheel well when you remove the chrome. The fender on the 86-88 is actually stamped in 2 peices and welded together. The chrome molding is used to cover up the weld line. I am dealing with this on my LS set up because I want to lose the chrome.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Funny thing is that after i posted the question i was driving around and some guy had a 81-85 monte with the euro front end and bumper and the bumper was about 2" longer than the fenders. So answered my question right there. Isnt it funny when you wander about something and WHAM there it is answered for you. I want to see if i can find the car again and take a closer look at it to see if i can just weld some metal to the lower part to make it look good and matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor