drive shaft too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

creepin cutty

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
hey, i just put a baddddd ls motor in my 1986 cutlass with a 700r4 transmission and today... i attempted to install a 8.5 GN rear end...i ran into one problem...and i wanted to know if it was typical, my drive shaft is about an inch too long..it was cut once before to fit my stock drive shaft but now i must cut again! just want to know if this is a typical thing when installing a 8.5? Thanks for all your help!!! :) :D
-Frank

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Yes, the installation of an 8.5" rear requires the driveshaft to be shortened 1" 8)

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
yep, that's normal when going from the 7.5 to the 8.5.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
damn, you out-typed me.
post some pics of the motor and the car when you're done!

creepin cutty

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
Thanks guys, will do when its all up and running!

where can i get the clear differential cover for the 8.5?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
it looks like it'll fit but remember that the cover is a pretty important part of the rear's integrity. and if you're going to be using the car hard you also want the main cap supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor