drivetrain swap parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryer1979

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
The Sticks, Ca.
Ok, so I am looking into beginning a G-body project, and my desired ride is a '79-'84 Regal which usually came with the v6 motors. There is tons of info here on the motor swap, very nice by the way, but little for the rear end that I could find. Since this car came with the v6 I am assuming that most didn't come with a posi, so my question is: what G-body models would I look for in a junkyard to find a posi typically? And if none, what cars would make a good candidate for a swap? Unfortunately I don't have much welding experience yet, so as close to direct fit as possible would be preferrable. Also for placing the TH-350 in the car, would one simply need to use the transmission support from a v8 car such as a Cutlass?

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
check ebay for a direct fit ford9inch about a grand w/brakes w/out center section. crossmember.com for the best xmember with dual exhaust clearance

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The 84-87 Grand National and Cutlass 442 have the 8.5 in 10 bolt and some had optional posi. These are extremely rare though. However, the 7.5 rear also had posi in some cars. The easy way to find the posi is to look for code G80 on the data sticker under the trunk lid. It was optional on pretty much all G bodies, so look at all of them to find one.

81malibag

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2007
Slohio
G-Body rear end swap

Find a 12 bolt car rear end ou of a 68-72 chevelle or el camino. You stock lower trailing arms hook right up. Th uppers need a new hole drilled 3/4 inch on center inwards(bolt hole that bolts upper arm to rear end housing). Install rear end & hook up brake lines. Napa Auto Parts sells a U-Joint that fits a G-Body driveshaft to a 12 bolt car yoke. Good luck....

fryer1979

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
The Sticks, Ca.
That sounds good, those rear ends are going to be hard to find in a junkyard around here, but I will keep my eyes peeled. Are the widths good? seems like they would be a little wide for the G-bodies. Any chance you would happen to know the Napa part number for that u-joint? The parts guys around here are not very bright, in fact, they just let me use the computer and books to look up my own parts. At least I never have returns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor