El Camino Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
outside83.jpg

It's been about 4 months since I started driving the El Camino and I am really happy with the way everything turned out. I just got back from a mini vacation to see family back in Ill. It was cold enough I had to run the heater most of the way up (I ran into SNOW in New Mexico) and hot enough to run the AC on the way back.

I put a little over 4000 miles on it over the last week, mostly interstate driving at 75-80 MPH and was getting around 15 MPG (it figures the gas prices started dropping a little AFTER I got back). The old 500 did great running 12-14 hours at a stretch, never over heated, always started and was really just a pleasure to drive. The only real problem was a voltage regulator in the rebuilt alternator that decided to take a dump on the trip (started over charging).

It also turns out that this is the biggest cop magnet I've built since I stopped putting V8s in Pinto’s and Vega’s 25 years ago ( of course driving up the I 35 Drug/Illegal alien corridor with AZ tags and being an old long hair didn't help :lol: ) I got stopped in Kansas and Missouri. One of the Missouri cops was kind of a car guy and was a bit confused when the registration came back to an 83 El Camino and he knew the nose was older until I explained about the clip swap. When he asked if I was a running a 350 I had the pleasure of telling him it was 507 cubic inches of Cadillac. His next comment was “Jesus how fast is this thing” …… when I told him “I don’t know” the trooper informed me that that was definitely the correct answer ( I had kept the comments of “yet” or the “speedometer only goes to 120 MPH” to myself). I really didn't mind the stops, these guys are doing their jobs and I'm glad they are.

Anyway with 6000 miles on it since January I definitely think this is a success and was worth the effort and $$.

Great Story! Glad It Made The Trip And You Enjoyed It! Did The Cops Give You Any Tickets Or Did They Just Stop You To Stop You? Good Luck With Your Elky And Enjoy It!

Nope, no tickets but in both cases a pretty close look at license/registration. In AZ you can buy plates for up to 5 years at a time, so there was a comment about the expiration on mine being 2016. In my case I think the stops were made mostly looking for drugs.

I was trying to follow your build and it was great with all the pics and explanations, I believe you said its just a 3 speed transmission so 15mpg is great. I'm glad the trip went well and everything worked, keep the smokey's drooling 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor