Eleanor mustang/Side exit exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalNite

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2020
This is something that may hurt a few of you out there. Cutting into a perfectly good car is not something easily done...

Some photos and a short explanation below:

20201113_121314.jpg
20201117_213859.jpg
20201117_213911.jpg
20201118_143615.jpg
20201117_213838.jpg
20201117_213838.jpg

So doing a side exit exhaust like on these cars while not ideal, totally possible. Not even that difficult.
I used 2 1/2" pipe throughout all of it. 3" could totally work with a little more finesse. Cutting the holes in the car I used a hole saw and grinder. But when I got to the inner support (The stuff you probably really shouldn't cut) I used a plasma gun. Made things so much easier. I cleaned it up and added a couple of welds but never got around to taking a photo.

This little tool here is great for guys who don't want to throw sparks or make clean circle cuts. I use this a ton.
Capture.PNG

The tire has more than 2" of clearance and brake lines are about a quarter. If need be just dent the back cubby in a little. It's made from very thin sheet metal. (Welding onto it with flux core is a joy.)

The muffler I went with is a black widow 250. Gave the little 305 way more low-end rumble than I thought possible. Does get a little high-pitched when racing the honda civics guys. No drone at all, and when cruising it is totally possible to have a normal conversation with the girlfriend. (will try a louder muffler next time)

Actually turned out better than I thought! The side skirts help blend it in a bit.

I had seen a grey protour style regal that had side exit exhaust and was curious how he did it but I assume like this.

Actually turned out better than I thought! The side skirts help blend it in a bit.

I had seen a grey protour style regal that had side exit exhaust and was curious how he did it but I assume like this.
I haven't seen any other el camino or g body with this style. I imagine this is the only way of doing it. The nice thing about the el camino is that it's totally possible to cut into the Cubby area and make all the room you want.

I haven't seen any other el camino or g body with this style. I imagine this is the only way of doing it. The nice thing about the el camino is that it's totally possible to cut into the Cubby area and make all the room you want.
Nice job.
I’m pretty sure there’s another member on here with side exit exhaust on his car.

Just gonna quietly leave this here...
😉

03F3460B-59DE-4A37-B478-B4ACD02FC988.jpeg

D5C2C0C4-8E6C-464E-A396-EAB0BB6759DA.jpeg

5C1A3749-D378-4F4B-AF65-59B4344DF091.jpeg

B5AF01E8-E8DE-405D-BF67-38FC842C0715.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor