exhaust leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
I've noticed an exhaust leak, but it hasn't been my top priority since i was having several problems getting the car running properly. Now however, shes running quite respectably and for the very first season of driving it, I have been enjoying the h*ll out of it. So that means now the little things are getting attention so I can enjoy it more. Where my header collectors meet my exhaust(where the 3 bolts are) I have a leak that is visible by a quick glance. The collector's metal flange have actually bowed outwards, warping it to the point where it no longer makes full contact with the gasket or the metal flange for the exhaust. My thermostat was sticking causing the car to run hot, I'm thinking maybe this was a result of running hot as I can see no other reason why this could have happened. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of removing the headers as they were such a pain to get in their. My question is does anyone have any suggestions for an easy way to fix this? Is their any kind of really thick gasket that can form to the proper shape when installed. Someone suggested trying two gaskets in their but I was concerned maybe they'd just burn off ofter a few days. Is their any type of sealer that I can spread between the collectors and the exhaust that would hold up to that kind of heat?

Those seem like they are right up my alley actually, Thanks guys. I measured my gap though, and I've got like 3/16 of dead space between my flanges. I can see it being my luck that they are just not quite big enough as they say they will Conform to and seal minor surface irregularities. 3/16 is more than minor in my eyes though. Anyone think I would have problems if I would double these up on each side if one set didn't work? I cannot forsee a problem since they are solid metal, just looking for a second opinion before I go get them and figure out the hard way their not thick enough.
Thanks again!

is it the gasket surface that is bent, or the bolt flange?

Heres what to do! I remember this rtv product named "copper gold rtv". Get yourself some standard collector gaskets and "slather them with the "copper gold rtl". You will also want to "slather some "copper gold" onto the collector surfaces. Now you can assemble the the collector/gasket by hand and let dry overnight. -- only hand tight. When you wake up in the morning go outside and tourqe the sh*t out of the collectors. Not too tight tho.. This will hold up fine. I had a similar issue about 15 years ago on an older car. Let us know how this works out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor