Factory EFI fuel tanks for efi swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I haven't found any exact answer yet so my question is, has anyone used a replacement monte 4.3 efi or grand national tank for an efi conversion? I would like to used a direct replacement and use an upgraded pump instead of dropping $600 on an aftermarket tank even though they are direct fit. I don't want to cut my tank for a sump.

I was looking at the aeromotive 340 phantom kit which has a baffle and retrofits but those are $450 for the kit.

Thanks,

Joe

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
That's what I plan on using. There was a thread on here detailing the swap. Basically the only thing you might run into is a venting problem where the pressure builds up and causes the pump hose to shutoff. There are ways to get around it though and seems to only occur in some tanks.

Here is a thread on maliburacing talking about the swap:

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=100893

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
I used a grand national fuel tank in my Olds. I had to modify the filler neck to fit.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Just my opinion but that malibu racing thread is about as cobbled up as you can get. Why? Because the venting issue is caused by the Spectre filler neck...not the tank itself and the goofy vent plumbing in that malibu thread isn't necessary. Buy a new Spectre tank without the filler neck (part CGM3C) and add your factory Malibu filler neck. GM used an epoxy resin to attach the factory filler neck so clean up isn't a big deal and you can JB weld your existing filler tube into the new tank for correct fitment. Also the compression fittings and anodized flare fittings in that thread are a mess. I used factory Nylon hoses and fittings. They are cheaper, less potential leak points and lighter than all those expensive fittings all cobbled together. Dorman sells a complete line of fittings, hose and installation tools for this....here are a few links. You can also rob the nice stainless steel fittings for nylon tubing off of mid 90's Cadillacs with EFI

http://www.dormanproducts.com/c-386-fuel-line-connectors-retainers.aspx?pagenum=7

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=fuel-line-connectors-retainers&parttype=Fuel%20Line

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I got a scratch and dent tank one day at Summit for 20 bucks (a non EFI tank) years ago and put it on a shelf knowing I would use it. I bought a spectra sending unit on amazon, what 120 bucks? To run AN line I took some steel AN -8 plugs and drilled them out on my drill press and tig welded them onto the supply and return lines. Eventually it will have an Aeromotive 11169 pump on it and be dropped into the tank.

It was easy enough to do, if anybody wanted one I could buy a few off rock auto...

Last edited:

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Thank you for all the responses. It looks like the gbody tank with the upgraded pump and stuff would come out to about the same price as the tanks Inc. Fuel tank.

All my fuel lines are basically pretty new. Also seems like the after market stuff requires an fittings so I would have to flare out my lines for those.

I do like the factory style quick connect. Those are easy for me to get locally.

Thanks again all.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I do understand that you want to use a factory EFI setup, but an external electric pump and filters is ALOT easier IMO and cheaper. $200 will cover a quality prefilter, 255 lph Walbro and factory post pump filter and lines. That way you can use the factory sending unit and filler neck. I'm running 2 Walbro's that required me to add a pickup line to the factory sending unit. I've got about $400 tied up and I'm good to 700+ HP. The best part is that I can service everything withoout having to ever drop the tank.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I do understand that you want to use a factory EFI setup, but an external electric pump and filters is ALOT easier IMO and cheaper. $200 will cover a quality prefilter, 255 lph Walbro and factory post pump filter and lines. That way you can use the factory sending unit and filler neck. I'm running 2 Walbro's that required me to add a pickup line to the factory sending unit. I've got about $400 tied up and I'm good to 700+ HP. The best part is that I can service everything withoout having to ever drop the tank.

You definitely can go this route. I guess my reasons for going with a factory in-tank pump is so its quieter and I can maybe feel more comfortable driving it everyday.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor