Factory T Tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpneroz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2009
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA
Found an exellent Gran Prix in a junkyard that has complete T Tops, don't appear to leak and excellent glass. I don't know if they are Hurst hatches or GM? They have heavy chrome moulding and are factory. How difficult would it be to install them in a Regal. Both cars are 78 - 80 cars so roof should be the same. How much exra bracing etc is involved in a T Roof car vs. a non T Roof car? I guess you would have to cut out the whole roof to keep everything intact? Thoughts? It might not be worth it? Can't help but think that they would look great in my black Turbo Coupe.

I have been led to believe that the chrome T-tops are the aftermarket installed Hurst tops (the dealers had them installed, not a hack job by any means) and that there really aren't any extra braces because the car is full frame, unlike the Firebird t-tops from the 70's.

You can swap the whole roof from a 78-80 but it is a very difficult process I hear.

Take pictures and good luck!!

If I recall correctly the Hurst roofs were utilized first, them GM kicked in and fabricated their own.

That stands to reason; GM probably didn't like paying the money to Hurst for the job!!

In fact, I have a 78 "Hatch Roof" service manual from GM for sale for $10 plus postage. Seems I recall it says Hurst. Also have 11 page GM service bulletin for weatherstrip seal instr. for $5

I swapped t-top and HT roofs on two 78 montes before (had it done professionally). From what i saw of the job that was done, i believe the roofs are the same on the 78-80 a/g bodies. I believe the body guy who did the job melded the existing and new roof together above the qtr window, which would be the only difference in the two. The chrome trim is normal for factory Ttop stuff, but look out for '78 applications as they had a crappy center hold-down system for the tops (would require a replacing with a 79-88 center bar)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor