BUILD THREAD Fan blade choice

SS Elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2017
I have a 454 in an 85 El Camino and I'm installing the rad with an Olds fan shroud and metal top plate. Issue is my 19 inch fan blade hits the shroud at the top front where the shroud is angled. It doesn't hit by much. My first thought was to modify the fan blades for clearance. After some research to try and determine orientation of the fan because of curved tips, I thought of going to an 18" fan. The larger fan fills the shroud opening better than the 18" fan would, but don't know if I'll lose airflow with the smaller fan. Anyone deal with this issue? I'm not interested in running electric fans and I'm sure that suggestion would come up.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Trim the shroud. Never trim a thing that spins.

Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Go with the 18" fan. The smaller fan is not going to lose airflow. You want about an inch clearance all the way around and the fan blades basically half in and half out of the shroud opening.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

SS Elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2017
Go with the 18" fan. The smaller fan is not going to lose airflow. You want about an inch clearance all the way around and the fan blades basically half in and half out of the shroud opening.
I have about an inch clearance now. The only way I can change the depth in the shroud is to eliminate the fan clutch and go to a mechanical fan. I don't mind doing that as I'm more concerned with cooling performance. If I get rid of the clutch, that will move the fan blade closer to the engine approx 1", which would solve the fan to shroud clearance problem. I'd like to keep the clutch since it's new but (now) not returnable. I can modify the blade I have now and rebalance it as one option.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I wouldn't remove the clutch. The fan is not designed to spin at high rpm. The clutch allows it to disengage as airflow goes up and the clutch releases. If the fan is just touching and there is not much you can do then put the 18" fan in it. I have never used the Oldsmobile shroud.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Olds top plate makes mounting electric fans easy, another option.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor