Fica Taxes im sorta pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986montecarlols

Master Mechanic
Apr 4, 2008
I just started working in housing at my college, we work 37.5 hours a week, im going to post my pay check 2 weeks ago, youll see what i Mean. I worked 63 the first 2 weeks combined and avoided the FICA tax. These 2 weeks this week I got shafted having to pay the goddamn fica. Anyone know the max hours a student can work on campus in michigan and avoid the fica tax like I was doing before? So I did the math, I assentially get 8 bucks for working the last 8 hours over the 63 I already worked, now how is that fair, **** that sh*t. I called svsu but the ****heads wont pick up the phone.

hours 63.00
Weeks pay $466.20
Medicare 0.00
Fica Withholding 0.00
Federal Withholding Single 22.31 59.96
Mi Withholding 20.28 94.74

Hours 71.0
This weeks wages - $525.40
Yearly grosses $2,703.22

Medicare 7.62 7.62
Fica Withholding 32.57 32.57
Federal Withholding Single 31.19 91.15
Mi Withholding 22.86 117.60

As you can see I made more the this week about 100 dollars more and worked 8 hours more, what did I see out of it. I made 5 ****ing dollars for working that extra day. I think I got ****ed, i hope my employer will let me not work some hours so this doenst happen again. Does anyone know who many hours you can work before you get fica taxes, whats better is I was looking on the website and according to it, while a student I am not supposd to be taxed by these taxes I am talking about. I have left message at the cashiers office and career pnanning and placement offices. If anyone thnks this is a mistake let me know.

I've been around payroll for years, but not at a college. Never heard of any exemptions from FICA or Medicare, except upper limits. Offhand, you should have had less takehome the first check. They may correct it, so watch out.

found out the problem

well come to find out today after talking to her, you have to take 3-6 credits in the spring/summer semester in order to avoid the tax. by not taking any classes i am not considered a student. So will not get any of this money back, oh well as gump would say, it happens.

Tax's are tax's... it happens when you work consider your self lucky next year if/when you are exempt because you work for the college you attend. I've as well as many other haven’t ever had that luxury

have fun this summer & GL in the next school year :lol:

Remember too that FICA (Social Security) is matched by your employer. So in reality, the amount is double that when viewing it in terms of cost of employment. You just don't see the other half of the money.

Welcome to real life.

K

if someone wants to close the thread feel free to. This thread is old, Believe me I know what real life is and what bills are, dont know what your def. of the real life is or if your being an asshat? Either way, Ive had 6 jobs. I simply wanted to know why I was being taxed. I have since found out over a week ago and posted on here.

Hey... Quick question, Do you stay at the dorms or just work in housing... I never understud if you had to be a student to stay in the dorms of if the floor manager was just some hired guy you got to live there

nah

I still stay at home, I have 3 semesters to go till I go to grad school which also will be when im moving out. IM most likely going to be studying abraod for a few years while doing graduate work. I was hired in housing from a friend who told me about the job, it was then listed on the college web site. I am taxed like a normal worker right now bcause im not taking classes. If was I wouldnt be taxed. Its a lose or win situation, spend money on classes save money on taxes but still get shafted having to take calsses during the summer.

Re: K

1986montecarlols said:
if someone wants to close the thread feel free to. This thread is old, Believe me I know what real life is and what bills are, dont know what your def. of the real life is or if your being an asshat? Either way, Ive had 6 jobs. I simply wanted to know why I was being taxed. I have since found out over a week ago and posted on here.

Never really thought of myself as an AzzHat but what ever you think. There is a wide, wide world out there and many people way worse than me.

Congrats on the six jobs. I hope you were able to add to your skill set at each one. I'll give you some advice given to me long ago, "Never take a job that you can't learn new skills at. The money comes and goes but your skills are what gets you to the next level."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor