Finding an old vehicle

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had any luck finding a vehicle that they have sold years ago with just the license plate number? I sold my first truck in 2006, and have regretted it ever since. It was licensed and insured through mom and dad at the time, and mom can't find any of the paperwork from then either, and in ohio they purge vins after 7 years, so she can't go up there and find it. I did find a picture of it with the license plate number, but have no idea where to even begin if that works... Thanks for any ideas anyone might have.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had any luck finding a vehicle that they have sold years ago with just the license plate number? I sold my first truck in 2006, and have regretted it ever since. It was licensed and insured through mom and dad at the time, and mom can't find any of the paperwork from then either, and in ohio they purge vins after 7 years, so she can't go up there and find it. I did find a picture of it with the license plate number, but have no idea where to even begin if that works... Thanks for any ideas anyone might have.
depends. could have been wrecked and junked, sold out of state, registration allowed to lapse, cut up for pieces after being stolen, sold overseas

state records get purged, as you indicate. assuming you can even access states records, which you can't do anymore in Texas, you might be able to locate but really, unless it's one of a handful and really valuable, you're better off finding a replacement that reminds you of those good times.

depends. could have been wrecked and junked, sold out of state, registration allowed to lapse, cut up for pieces after being stolen, sold overseas

state records get purged, as you indicate. assuming you can even access states records, which you can't do anymore in Texas, you might be able to locate but really, unless it's one of a handful and really valuable, you're better off finding a replacement that reminds you of those good times.
I should have added, I did find the guy I sold it to last summer, and he sold it back around 2010 he said. He did say that he messaged the guy who he sold it to, and supposedly he still had it. ALTHOUGH, with that being said, I was dumb, thought I knew everything, but looking back there was a lot of stuff hacked up on the truck, so he could have been giving me a load of bull about that he sold it and actually scrapped it, which honestly i wouldn't blame him either if he thought I screwed him. It wasn't anything real special, and 82 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor