First road trip- couple questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
Ok so yesterday went about 100 miles one way on the interstate everything went smooth as butter on the way there not one single issue. Well the SS was parked all day while me and my dad went riding for the day. Got back to his house at about 10pm and i took off back to the interstate to head home, the car was making one helluva knocking sound but was not coming from the engine, seemed as tho it got worse and worse going down the interstate. Well about half way home i finally pulled into a rest area and popped the hood, it was a Rod held on by a cotter pin on the steering shaft right where it comes out of the firewall, beating on my headers!

So i knew what it was so i got back on the interstate and about 15 miles from the house my headlights starting shutting off and coming on! did it twice and the first time was so fast i thought it was just me imagining things but the second time was for about 3 seconds! i imagine it is a ground, remember i drive this car daily and have for about 4 and a 1/2 months without either of these things happening, so today i popped the cotter pin and removed the rod which appeared to be doing nothing,

Does anyone have any insight on A. What the hell the rod is and what it does?
B. Tell me location for the light switch ground? please help lol. i can post a pic of the rod if needed.

Thanks guys, JT

I believe the rod you are talking about goes to the shifter on the trans. If your car is floor shift, the only function is for the neutral safety switch and won't let you take out the key when the car is in gear. On a column shift car, it is what allows you to change gears.

The only grounds I know of for the headlights are on the core support up front. They are on both sides, you should be able to see the black wires going to the core support. Is it just the headlights not working, or are all other lights not working also?

Ok so i took out the rod, shouldnt be a issue since i have a TH400 in it now anyways. And all the lights went out thats why i believe it is in the light switch itself.

I also want to add that prior to the trip i added a Mr. Gasket water neck #2661 with a oring, no gasket or sealer needed and it did great not a drop leaked through it. 8.99 at O'reillys.

bowtietillidie85SS said:
I also want to add that prior to the trip i added a Mr. Gasket water neck #2661 with a oring, no gasket or sealer needed and it did great not a drop leaked through it. 8.99 at O'reillys.

Give it enough time and the coolant will eat right through that water neck. I've had about four of them go like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor