first time @ the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

jharm05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2013
Glen Burnie, MD
Took my 88 monte carlo to the track for the first time about a week ago...went 10.28 @ 132 off the trailer!!!! I was only able to make 1 pass, because when the car launched it squatted a lil more on the left rear side and cut the tire a lil bit. I did want to make another pass but didnt want to chance anything happening.

I did go through and grind the lip down on the 1 side and it still seems to be cutting it a bit. Just wanted to get some ideas as to what would be a better solution, I was given the ideas of putting a stiffer spring on the 1 side or putting an airbag to the one side with an anti roll bar or go with a skinnier tire on the rear, or i was just thinking of getting the car mini tubbed.

Any input would be great.

85Gold-Heart

Apprentice
Jan 7, 2014
Ft.Stewart, Ga
10.28 right off the trailer! Come on spill some beans on the setup lol Thats nice.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
jharm05 said:
Took my 88 monte carlo to the track for the first time about a week ago...went 10.28 @ 132 off the trailer!!!! I was only able to make 1 pass, because when the car launched it squatted a lil more on the left rear side and cut the tire a lil bit. I did want to make another pass but didnt want to chance anything happening.

I did go through and grind the lip down on the 1 side and it still seems to be cutting it a bit. Just wanted to get some ideas as to what would be a better solution, I was given the ideas of putting a stiffer spring on the 1 side or putting an airbag to the one side with an anti roll bar or go with a skinnier tire on the rear, or i was just thinking of getting the car mini tubbed.

Any input would be great.

You could always get a reaf sway bar. Umi and h and r sell a rear bar for drag racing to prevent the chassis twisting like that, makes the car launch striaght also.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
Roll the lip on both sides of the quarters. Use the east wood tool or a bat or whateer u want. Roll it up. Youll never need to worry.

When the tires plant they flatten out. A stiffer spring might not fix anything.

Also changing the spring or springs will mess up ur suspension set up.

Roll the lip and if ur going that fast off the trailer. Put in an anti roll bar. Ull launch straight eery time

johnwojo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2010
Vineland, Nj
I put a spohn drag bar on the wagon. It used to twist a lot now it leaves level. Very satisfied with results.

jharm05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2013
Glen Burnie, MD
yea im going to roll the quarters...and put a anti roll bar on it...im sure im gonna need the anti roll bar once i starting spraying it

Bigdaddy198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2014
I have drag bags in both sides of mine Its a 80 Cutlass with stiffwall MT Drags 29.5/10.5/15 slicks I run right at 20lbs in the bags , southside upper and lowers beefed up boxs on top 12 bolt full spool Moser 4.11 gears 33 spline axles Running a 461 BB Olds on E85 and its running 10.80's in the 1/4 and 6.85's in the 1/8th also have a anti roll set up and this car hooks hard yanks the front Tires off the ground off the hit. Very good driver not a scary ride at all. Like its on a string

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor