Four-Cylinder Silverado Gets Worse Fuel Economy than V-8 in C&D Test

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Not surprised. If the V8 runs on 4 at speed and the 4T runs on 4 at speed then what is the difference. I would like to know how many RPM each is turning at highway speeds. Also are the rear end rations the same or did they need to change that to make up for the smaller engine?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not surprised. If the V8 runs on 4 at speed and the 4T runs on 4 at speed then what is the difference. I would like to know how many RPM each is turning at highway speeds. Also are the rear end rations the same or did they need to change that to make up for the smaller engine?
Don't forget the 4 turns into a 2 at speed. Another smart engineering move for full size truck.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The smaller motors have to work harder and trucks are heavy pigs. That means more time with boost to move it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Several years ago Top Gear when it still had Clarkson, Hammond and May took a BMW and Prius, an them until empty and added one metered gallon of fuel. They drove them around a track at 50 mph or so and the Prius ran out of fuel first. I think an EPA test at 48 MPH is ridiculous. If I drove my company Ram 5500 service truck around at 48 MPH it would probably pull down 11-12 mpg and someone would shoot me in the face for holding up traffic. The speed limit in most of the western states is 70-80 MPH and that nets me around 6.9 mpg.

• Agree

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My opinion- the 4 cylinder is not about fuel economy, it's about margins.

4 pistons less, less block material, less cylinder heads, less wiring, it all adds up.

GM makes more money selling heated seats and giant touch screens than they do selling pistons. They can sell an additional 2 grand in options that they make 1500 on profit vs sell a 2 grand engine and make 750 bucks of profit.

It's a way to milk the most options out of people with fixed budgets/financing.

• Agree

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I wonder really how much less the I-4 costs to make? I mean, it's DOHC, so that's a more complex design. It also has cylinder de-activation, it also has a turbocharger. So other than block material, pistons and rods, is the V-8 really THAT much more expensive to make? :unsure: Not to mention by sales volume, the 5.3 is far-and-away the biggest seller. Only 10% of sales are projected to be the I-4.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Automotive volumes are so high, especially in pickups, even 10% of silverado production is multitudes larger than say the v8 option on a camaro. The volumes get so large they don't get a huge price break on volume since 20,000 per year takes 20 machines to make and 200,000 per year takes 200 machines so it gets to a point where mfg cost is linear.

On the assembly side, its less bolts to touch and tighten, and the v8's have gotten so complex these days although you add a cam and some valves, its all the plugs, connectors, injectors, and associated stuff like manifolds and gaskets that really add up.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor