FRANE SWAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

80GRAND

n00b
Jan 29, 2007
HEY IM NEW TO THE FORUMS AND NEED SOME HELP I NEED TO KNOW IF A 1978 GRAND PRIX FRAME WILL FIT UNDER A 1986 BUICK REGAL AND IF NOT WHY THANKS FOR ANY HELP...................

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
thats certainly no way to get a response,... Im sure it'll work, but you'd think you could be a little more patient... 2 posts, second one giving us sh*t for not working on YOUR timetable...christ

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
i believe it will work. we all share the same chassis thus the g body. I had one person tell me the el camino and wagons were different but i never belived him.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
ryanwitski said:
I had one person tell me the el camino and wagons were different but i never belived him.

Believe him.

The Elco rear frame rails are different from the wagon rear frame rails are different from the sedan rear frame rails. The rear body mount locations are different and there are different tabs welded to the frame because of this. My 78 Factory Service Manual shows this in detail. Also, Conrad Lozier, who makes repro rear frame rails, has pictures of all three variations:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
really? my Gm factory shop manual for el camino, cutlass shows only one frame and mounting points. maybe it is just too general?

Brandotheamazing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 29, 2007
I think there's one other difference

Hey, not positive but i think the later g-body frames, post 83had an extra section welded into the frame rail on the drivers side for the mounting of the trans cross member, about 14 inches behind the spot where the member for a th350 wold mount.... I think it was all of them, i know my 83 regal is like that, found that out searching for a dual exaust member for a th400.
other than that i know of no differenece

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Correct - the newer 84+ frames have the extra mounting point for the trans crossmember. There are difference in the rear rails of 2-doors/wagons/elkys. Also, I have read from the Malibu guys that that older A-bodies have shorter front frame rails than 81+ (when the body redesign took place). This is apparantly easily resolved by shortening or extending the bumper supports I believe. Ask of at maliburacing.com and they can give you the details on that.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
el camino frames are 117" (from memory, so dont quote me) either way, the frame on an elco is strictly el camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor